Help solving 2nd order differential equation

In summary, the conversation is about solving a second order differential equation involving a spring with spring constant and an object with mass. The person asking for help is in grade 12 and has not learned differential equations before, but has knowledge of integration and differentiation calculus. The expert summarizes the steps to solving the equation, including finding the auxiliary polynomial and solving for r to get the final solution. The person receiving help is grateful and apologizes for the delay in responding.
woodie37
Help solving 2nd order differential equation please

While solving for the time it takes an object of mass, m, with initial velocity, v, to compress a spring with spring constant, k to the maximum compression, I came across the following differential equation

m(d[tex]^{2}[/tex]x/dt[tex]^{2}[/tex]) = kx - mg

I drew a f.b.d. of the forces on the object, mg down and kx (force of spring) up, and that's why I got kx - mg as the net force, the spring is on the bottom.

Can someone show me the technique to solving this please? I'm in grade 12 and have never learned differential equations before, but I finished both integration and differentiation calculus on my own in the summer.

Physics news on Phys.org

Isn't this just a second order homogeneous linear ODE?

mx'' - kx = -mg
(-1/g)x'' + (k/mg)x = 0

With auxiliary polynomial:

(-1/g)r2 + k/mg = 0

So just solve for r and the answer is of the form:

[tex]x(t)=c_1e^{r_1t}+c_2e^{r_2t}[/tex]

where c_1 and c_2 are constants.

Last edited:

Thanks i didnt see that!

Wait a min...-mg/-mg = 1 not 0...

woodie37 said:
Wait a min...-mg/-mg = 1 not 0...

Yes, sorry. My excuse is that I just woke up when I originally replied. I replied to your private message with an explanation of how to find the (correct) solution.

Last edited:

Yes this helped a lot! =D Thanks! ps sry it took me so long to get back, but I've read the solution right after you mailed it to me and i hadnt have time to respond

Related to Help solving 2nd order differential equation

What is a 2nd order differential equation?

A 2nd order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the second derivative of a dependent variable with respect to an independent variable. It is commonly used to model physical systems and their behaviors.

How do you solve a 2nd order differential equation?

To solve a 2nd order differential equation, you can use various techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or using the characteristic equation. It is important to identify the type of differential equation and choose the appropriate method for solving it.

What are the initial conditions for solving a 2nd order differential equation?

The initial conditions for solving a 2nd order differential equation are the values of the dependent variable and its first derivative at a specific point or interval. These conditions are necessary for finding a particular solution to the differential equation.

What is the difference between a homogeneous and non-homogeneous 2nd order differential equation?

A homogeneous 2nd order differential equation is one in which all terms can be expressed in terms of the dependent variable and its derivatives. A non-homogeneous 2nd order differential equation has additional terms that cannot be expressed in terms of the dependent variable and its derivatives.

Why are 2nd order differential equations important in science?

2nd order differential equations are important in science because they can be used to model and understand the behavior of physical systems. They are also used in many scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to make predictions and solve problems.