Cartesian Oval in Maple13 OR Mathematica7

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter Questioneer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cartesian
In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to get an output of a specific cartesian oval or oval of descartes using algebraic equations and math programs such as Mathematica and Maple13. The parameters and calculations for the oval are described, and the frustration with obtaining a solution is expressed. The conversation also mentions the use of pen and paper to verify the validity of the function and includes a general function for any cartesian oval or oval of descartes as a .png file.
Questioneer
I'm attempting to get an output of a specific cartesian oval (or oval of descartes, the perfect imaging system in physical optics- viz. perfectly stigmatic imaging). Algebraically I've deduced the equation to be

3/2 Sqrt[(30 - x)^2 + y^2] + Sqrt[x^2 + y^2] == 7/20 (Mathematica input).

I'm kind of new to math programs, so for Mathematica I used the ContourPlot command- the website said it would work fine for implicit functions. I tried it on a simple circle and it worked fine. For the parameters I set up (-20<x<20, -20<y<20) it showed nothing.

For Maple13, I input

> implicitplot(7/(20)=sqrt( x^(2)+y^(2)) + 3/(2)sqrt((30-x)^(2)+y^(2)), x =-20..20, y=-20..20);

and it reads

Error, invalid >

For the oval there are four things that need to be known. index of refraction of both medium, and the object distance and image distance. From this point I'm solving for a triangle that has a base of the object and image distance summed, and the arms are equal to the distance traveled through air (medium 1) and the unknown medium 2 with refraction index 1.5. The object distance is 20 cm and the image distance is 10 cm. It first travels through air which has an index of 1.00

Using pen and paper I see no reason why it would be an invalid function, even though implicit. For example, by definition of my cartesian system, the smallest value x (the distance of the object to the interface, which I define to be s0=20 cm) should yield a y value of 0. It does.

The general function for any cartesian oval or oval of descartes is:

n1*Sqrt[x^2+y^2] + n2*Sqrt[(s0+s1-x)^2 + y^2] == n1s0 + n2s1. The general function is attached as a .png file.

Please help- this is the most frustrating feeling!

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 455
Physics news on Phys.org
ContourPlot[(3/2) Sqrt[(30 - x)^2 + y^2] + Sqrt[x^2 + y^2], {x, -20, 20}, {y, -20, 20}]

This will return a contour plot in mathematica. However, attempting

ContourPlot[(3/2) Sqrt[(30 - x)^2 + y^2] + Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]==7/20, {x, 10^100, -10^100}, {y, 10^100, -10^100}],

returns a blank plot. Apparently there is no solution of 7/20 within this region of the plane.

I can understand your frustration with trying to obtain a specific Cartesian oval using mathematical software. However, it is important to keep in mind that these software programs are not infallible and may not always give the desired output. In this case, it seems like there may be a technical issue with the syntax of your input, as both Mathematica and Maple13 are giving errors.

One potential solution could be to try using a different command or function in the software to plot implicit functions. You could also try simplifying the equation and inputting it in a different format to see if that gives a better result.

Additionally, it may be helpful to consult with experts or forums dedicated to using these specific software programs for mathematical purposes. They may be able to provide more specific advice and troubleshooting tips.

In terms of the scientific implications of the Cartesian oval, it is a useful concept in the field of physical optics for perfectly stigmatic imaging. Understanding and being able to accurately plot its equation can help in designing optical systems for various applications. Keep persevering and seeking assistance, and hopefully you will be able to achieve the desired output.

1. What is a Cartesian oval?

A Cartesian oval is a type of mathematical curve that is defined as the locus of points where the sum of the distances from two fixed points (known as foci) is a constant value. It is named after the French philosopher and mathematician, René Descartes.

2. How is a Cartesian oval represented in Maple13 or Mathematica7?

In both Maple13 and Mathematica7, a Cartesian oval can be represented using the ContourPlot function. The equation of the oval can be inputted as an argument, along with the desired range of values for the x and y variables. The resulting plot will show the Cartesian oval as a curve.

3. Is it possible to customize the appearance of a Cartesian oval in Maple13 or Mathematica7?

Yes, both Maple13 and Mathematica7 offer various options for customizing the appearance of a Cartesian oval plot. These include changing the color, style, and thickness of the curve, as well as adding labels, axes, and other annotations.

4. Can Maple13 or Mathematica7 be used to find the equation of a Cartesian oval given its foci and constant value?

Yes, both Maple13 and Mathematica7 have built-in functions for finding the equation of a Cartesian oval given its foci and constant value. In Maple13, this function is called CartesianOval while in Mathematica7, it is called ImplicitCurve.

5. Are there any real-life applications of Cartesian ovals?

Yes, Cartesian ovals have various real-life applications in fields such as optics, engineering, and architecture. For example, they can be used to design lens shapes for cameras and telescopes, as well as to create aesthetically pleasing architectural curves.