Why Are FFT Acceleration Peaks in My Data Abnormally High?

In summary: If they are not, then you have to correct for this. This can be done in a number of ways, but the simplest is to use a scaling factor.
adanoop
I have collected time-domain acceleration signals from the test rig through an accelerometer. Voltage signals are scaled to acceleration signals based on voltage sensitivity of accelerometer. Please refer the link given at the last to get the link for PDF attachment to see the time domain acceleration signals. Acceleration varies from 4 to -13 m/sec2. Later FFT analysis is done in Matlab software. Please refer to the link given at the end to get the link for attached PDF file to see the Frequency-domain acceleration signals. But here I got the acceleration peaks very high (of the order 70-100 m/sec2). Kindly suggest me whether the acceleration peaks convey the meaning ful result? Whether some kind of normalization is required for Y axis (acceleration peak) of the frequecy domain signal? Please guide me how to present the acceleration peaks in a meaning ful way?

Thanks in advance!

Waiting for ur valuable suggestions...

Please click this link to get another link where PDF document of signal analysis is available:
http://imechanica.org/node/9195

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You have asked a question with no easy answer, since taking a spectrum looks easy but rests on a mass of details and assumptions. The spectrum in your attachment has many fewer points than your data set; how did you calculate it? Did you split the data into intervals, calc the spectrum of each, and average? (e.g., periodogram). Is your spectrum complex? (It should be.) Are you showing just the real part? The magnitude? A classic FFT will also show negative frequencies; where are these? What normalization are you using? All of these affect the absolute magnitudes.

Thank you for replying!..I collected both time and voltage (scaled to acceleration) data. Hence I do have data about time interval also. But I have used 1024 datapoints to calculate FFT in Matlab. Then I calculated FFT magnitude, i.e. absolute of FFT. The amplitudes you are seeing in the figure are FFT magnitudes. Normalization is not used.

Ok. If the number of time and frequency domain points is the same (1024), then you can do a simple test to check the normalization. Remember from Parseval's theorem that the total energy in each domain must be the same. Check, therefore, that

[tex]\sum_n{|f[n]|^2}=\frac{1}{N}\sum_k{|F[k]|^2}[/tex]

Also the units in the frequency domain are different than the time domain. They should be volts/sqrt(Hz) so that the power spectrum |F[k]|^2 has units of energy.

1. What is FFT acceleration peak analysis?

FFT acceleration peak analysis is a method used to analyze the frequency spectrum of a signal or data set. It involves using the Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) algorithm to convert the signal from its time domain to its frequency domain, allowing for the identification of any dominant frequencies or peaks.

2. Why is analyzing FFT acceleration peaks important?

Analyzing FFT acceleration peaks can provide valuable insights into the behavior and characteristics of a signal or system. It can help identify any dominant frequencies or patterns that may be causing issues or impacting performance. This information can be used to improve the design and functionality of systems or to troubleshoot any problems.

3. What is the process for analyzing FFT acceleration peaks?

The process for analyzing FFT acceleration peaks involves first collecting the data from the signal or system. This data is then transformed using the FFT algorithm, which converts it from the time domain to the frequency domain. The FFT output is then analyzed to identify any peaks or dominant frequencies, and the results are interpreted to gain insights into the signal or system.

4. What are some common applications of FFT acceleration peak analysis?

FFT acceleration peak analysis has a wide range of applications in various fields, such as signal processing, audio and video compression, data analysis, and pattern recognition. It is commonly used in engineering, physics, and other scientific fields to analyze and understand complex systems and signals.

5. Are there any limitations to FFT acceleration peak analysis?

While FFT acceleration peak analysis can provide valuable insights, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the signal is periodic, and any non-periodic behavior may not be accurately captured. Additionally, the accuracy of the results can be affected by the sampling rate and length of the signal. It is essential to carefully consider these factors when performing FFT acceleration peak analysis.

Back