Mechanical Eng to Theoretical Physics

In summary, the person is seeking an opinion on whether to switch from mechanical engineering to theoretical physics for their higher studies. They are currently in their third year and plan on taking the GRE in July 2011. They have done good projects and presented papers in mechanical engineering, but have a passion for theoretical physics and are unsure of what to do. They are seeking advice.
Unification
Hai,

Could u give a opinion for my Higher Studies from Mechanical to Theoretical Physics, currently I am doing my 3rd year and writing GRE on July 2011 .I could not come to Decision whether to take Mechanical or Theoretical Physics.I hav done a couple of good projects in mechanical engineering and presented papers but i love theoretical physics...dont knw wat to do..!

pleasez help me.

Thank u

Physics news on Phys.org
You probably aren't qualified to go into a theoretical physics program with a mechanical engineering degree. You may be able to convince an admissions committee otherwise, but I doubt it based on the level of writing skill you've shown above.

fss said:
you probably aren't qualified to go into a theoretical physics program with a mechanical engineering degree. You may be able to convince an admissions committee otherwise, but i doubt it based on the level of writing skill you've shown above.

lol!

Related to Mechanical Eng to Theoretical Physics

1. What is the difference between mechanical engineering and theoretical physics?

Mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, analysis, and manufacturing of mechanical systems. Theoretical physics, on the other hand, is a branch of physics that focuses on developing mathematical models and theories to explain the behavior of physical systems. While mechanical engineering deals with the physical design and construction of systems, theoretical physics deals with the underlying principles and laws governing those systems.

2. Can someone with a degree in mechanical engineering pursue a career in theoretical physics?

Yes, it is possible for someone with a degree in mechanical engineering to pursue a career in theoretical physics. However, it may require additional education and training in physics, mathematics, and computer science to develop the necessary skills and knowledge for theoretical physics research.

3. How does mechanical engineering relate to theoretical physics?

Mechanical engineering and theoretical physics are closely related in that they both involve understanding and manipulating physical systems. Mechanical engineering provides practical applications of theoretical physics principles, while theoretical physics provides the fundamental understanding of physical systems that can be applied in mechanical engineering designs.

4. What are some examples of mechanical engineering principles used in theoretical physics?

Some examples of mechanical engineering principles used in theoretical physics include mechanics, thermodynamics, and materials science. These principles are essential for understanding the behavior of physical systems and developing mathematical models to describe them.

5. What skills are necessary to bridge the gap between mechanical engineering and theoretical physics?

To bridge the gap between mechanical engineering and theoretical physics, one needs to have a strong foundation in mathematics, especially in calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra. Knowledge of computer programming and data analysis is also crucial, as well as the ability to think critically and creatively to solve complex problems.