My proof of very basic measure theory theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof of a theorem regarding the measurability of a set and its closure. The proof presented is incomplete and incorrect, as it only considers the case where the set is equal to its closure. The correct proof would need to show that for any set A, the measure of A is equal to the measure of A intersected with the closure of E plus the measure of A intersected with the closure of the complement of E. The conversation also clarifies that the "bar" notation represents the complement of a set, not just its closure.
gunitinug
Hi. I have a proof of a very basic measure theory theorem related to the definition of a measure, and would like to ask posters if the proof is wrong.

Theorem: If [itex]E[/itex] is measurable, then [itex]\overline{E}[/itex] is measurable and conversely.

My Proof:
Let's try the converse version first.

[itex]m(E)=m(E \cap \overline{E})+m(E \cap E)[/itex]
[itex]=m(E \cap \overline{E})+m(E)[/itex]
So [itex]m(E \cap \overline{E})=0[/itex]. By this we've shown that [itex]\overline{E}[/itex] is measurable. Converse is true by similar method.

[itex]m(\overline{E})=m(\overline{E} \cap \overline{E})+m(\overline{E} \cap E)[/itex]
[itex]=m(\overline{E})+m(E \cap \overline{E})[/itex]
[itex]=m(\overline{E})+0=m(\overline{E}).[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That is in fact, completely wrong. In order to show that [itex]\overline{E}[/itex] is measurable, you have to show that for any set A, [itex]m(A) = m(A \cap \overline{E}) + m(A \cap \overline{\overline{E}})[/itex]. You seem to be trying to do this only in the case where A=E, which is not sufficient.

And the converse is not true. The thing is that all closed sets are measurable. So [itex]\overline{E}[/itex] is always measurable. But E doesn't need to be.

I took the meaning of the bar to be compliment, rather than closure. gunitinug, can you confirm that that's what the notation means?

Citan Uzuki said:
I took the meaning of the bar to be compliment, rather than closure. gunitinug, can you confirm that that's what the notation means?

Aah, yes. That would make sense...

Related to My proof of very basic measure theory theorem

1. What is measure theory?

Measure theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the concept of measuring the size or magnitude of sets. It provides a rigorous framework for defining and manipulating measures, which are mathematical functions that assign a numerical value to sets. It is commonly used in areas such as probability, statistics, and analysis.

2. Why is measure theory important?

Measure theory is important because it allows us to define and manipulate measures in a precise and consistent way. This is essential in many areas of mathematics and science, as it provides a solid foundation for understanding and working with concepts such as volume, area, and probability. Measure theory also has practical applications in fields such as engineering, economics, and physics.

3. What is the basic idea behind your proof of a very basic measure theory theorem?

The basic idea behind my proof is to use the definition of a measure to show that the theorem holds for any set in the given measure space. This involves breaking down the set into smaller, easier-to-handle pieces and then using various properties of measures to show that the theorem is true for each of these pieces. By combining these smaller proofs, we can then prove the theorem for the entire set.

4. How does your proof differ from other proofs of the same theorem?

My proof may differ from other proofs of the same theorem in the specific techniques and strategies used, but the overall structure and logic will likely be similar. The main difference may lie in the level of detail and rigor presented in the proof, as well as any additional insights or interpretations that may be included.

5. Can your proof be applied to other measure theory theorems?

Yes, the techniques and strategies used in my proof can be applied to other measure theory theorems. However, the specific details and steps may need to be adapted to fit the particular theorem being proven. Additionally, different measure spaces or measures may require different approaches, so the proof may need to be adjusted accordingly.