Checking Proof of Theorem 6.2.8 Part (ii)

In summary, the conversation was about the different types of coffee and how they are made. The participants discussed the importance of using freshly ground beans and the different brewing methods. They also talked about the role of milk in coffee drinks and the popularity of specialty coffee shops. Overall, the conversation highlighted the passion and knowledge that people have for coffee.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I have completed a formal proof of D&K Theorem 6.2.8 Part (ii) ... but I am unsure of whether the proof is correct ... so I would be most grateful if someone could check the proof and point out any errors or shortcomings ...

Theorem 6.2.8 reads as follows:
D&K ... Defn 6.2.7 and Theorem 6.2.8 .png

D&K ... Defn 6.2.7 and Theorem 6.2.8  ... PART II .png

Attempted Proof of Theorem 6.2.8 Part (ii)
We have to show:

\(\displaystyle f \leq g \Longrightarrow I(f) \leq I(g) \)

where

\(\displaystyle I(f) = \int_{ \mathbb{R^n} } f(x) dx = \int_{B} f(x) dx \)

and

\(\displaystyle I(g) = \int_{ \mathbb{R^n} } g(x) dx = \int_{B} g(x) dx \)
Proof:

Given a partition \(\displaystyle \mathscr{B} \text{ of } B \) we have

\(\displaystyle \overline{S} (f, \mathscr{B} ) \ = \ \sum_{j \in J} \ \sup_{ x \in B_j} \ f(x) dx \text{ vol}_n (B_j) \)

and

\(\displaystyle \overline{S} (g, \mathscr{B} ) \ = \ \sum_{j \in J} \ \sup_{ x \in B_j} \ g(x) dx \text{ vol}_n (B_j) \)Now, since \(\displaystyle f(x) \leq g(x) \ \ for all x \in B \) we have

\(\displaystyle \overline{S} (f, \mathscr{B} ) \ \leq \ \ \overline{S} (g, \mathscr{B} ) \)it follows that:

\(\displaystyle \overline{ \int_{B} } f(x) dx = \text{ inf} \ \{ \overline{S} (f, \mathscr{B} ) \ \ | \ \ \mathscr{B} \text{ is a partition of } B \} \ \ \leq \ \ \text{ inf} \ \{ \overline{S} (g, \mathscr{B} ) \ \ | \ \ \mathscr{B} \text{ is a partition of } B \} \ = \ \overline{ \int_{B} } g(x) dx \) ... ... ... ... ... (1)Similarly ... ... \(\displaystyle \underline{ \int_{B} } f(x) dx \leq \underline{ \int_{B} } g(x) dx \) ... ... ... ... ... (2)(1), (2) \(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow \int_{B} f(x) dx \leq \int_{B} g(x) dx \) ... ...

... ... that is ... ...

\(\displaystyle I(f) \leq I(g) \)
Could someone please check my proof for correctness ... and point out any errors, shortcomings and areas needing improvement ...

Peter

NOTE:

It may help readers of the above post to have access to D&K Section 6.2 so as to be able to check the way the authors present the theory and also to check notation so I am providing a scan of section 6.2 as it reads before Theorem 6.2.8 ... see below
D&K ... 1 ... Section 6.2 on Riemann Integrability ... PART 1 .png

D&K ... 2 ... Section 6.2 on Riemann Integrability ... PART 2 ... .png

D&K ... 3 ... Section 6.2 on Riemann Integrability ... PART 3 ... .png

Hope that helps ...

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter

Proof looks good. Two small comments:
  1. It is true that since both $f$ and $g$ are bounded with compact support, it is possible to select a single rectangle $B$ for which $f(x) = g(x) = 0$ for $x\notin B$. I think to improve the rigor of your proof, it is worth saying something like this at the beginning of the argument because, technically speaking, $f,g\in\mathcal{R}(\mathbb{R}^{n})$ imply there are rectangles $B_{f}$ and $B_{g}$ specific to $f$ and $g$, respectively. Again, your proof is rigorous enough in my eyes, but I do think emphasizing this point would improve the precision a bit.
  2. When you say "Similarly ... ... \(\displaystyle \underline{ \int_{B} } f(x) dx \leq \underline{ \int_{B} } g(x) dx \) ...," you are correct that an analogous argument would establish the inequality for the lower Riemann integrals. However, you do not need to actually mention this. Can you see why? By assuming $f,g\in\mathcal{R}(\mathbb{R}^{n})$, what do we know about the upper and lower Riemann integrals?
Hopefully these comments help. Let me know if the question I've posed in part 2 above is unclear.

Hello Peter,

Thank you for sharing your proof with us. I have read through it and I think it is a solid attempt at proving Theorem 6.2.8 Part (ii). However, there are a few areas that I think could use some improvement.

Firstly, I would suggest defining the terms "partition" and "volume" in your proof, as not all readers may be familiar with these concepts. This will make your proof more accessible to a wider audience.

Secondly, I noticed that in your proof, you use the notation \overline{\int_B} and \underline{\int_B} for the upper and lower integrals, respectively. However, in the statement of the theorem, the notation used is I(f) and I(g). It would be clearer if you use the same notation in your proof to avoid confusion.

Lastly, I would suggest providing a brief explanation or justification for each step in your proof, especially for equations (1) and (2). This will help the reader follow your thought process and understand the reasoning behind each step.

Overall, I think your proof is well-structured and easy to follow. Keep up the good work!

What is the purpose of checking the proof of Theorem 6.2.8 Part (ii)?

The purpose of checking the proof of Theorem 6.2.8 Part (ii) is to ensure that the proof is logically sound and free of errors. This helps to establish the validity and reliability of the theorem, making it a valuable contribution to the field of study.

How do you check the proof of Theorem 6.2.8 Part (ii)?

To check the proof of Theorem 6.2.8 Part (ii), one must carefully read and analyze each step of the proof. This involves checking the assumptions, definitions, and logical reasoning used in the proof. It is also helpful to consult other sources or experts in the field for further verification.

What are some common errors to look out for when checking the proof of Theorem 6.2.8 Part (ii)?

Some common errors to look out for when checking the proof of Theorem 6.2.8 Part (ii) include incorrect assumptions, faulty logic, and mistakes in calculations or notation. It is also important to check for any missing steps or gaps in the proof.

Why is it important to check the proof of Theorem 6.2.8 Part (ii) before accepting it?

It is important to check the proof of Theorem 6.2.8 Part (ii) before accepting it because it ensures the accuracy and validity of the theorem. Accepting a flawed or incorrect proof can lead to incorrect conclusions and harm the progress of scientific research.

What should be done if a mistake is found in the proof of Theorem 6.2.8 Part (ii)?

If a mistake is found in the proof of Theorem 6.2.8 Part (ii), it should be brought to the attention of the author or the scientific community. The proof should be revised and rechecked before it can be accepted as a valid theorem.