Help with solving the problem charge problem

• Thread starter thomq
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge
In summary, we use Coulomb's Law to solve for the position (x) of a third charged bead (Q) in equilibrium between two fixed beads with charges 3q and q. After setting the forces on both sides of the bead equal and simplifying, we obtain a quadratic equation for x. Solving for x gives us two possible solutions: x = (3 + √3)/2 * d or x = (3 - √3)/2 * d. However, the second solution is extraneous and the first solution is the correct position for the third bead to be in equilibrium.
thomq
1. Two small beads having a positive charges 3q and q are fixed at the opposite ends of a horizontal, insulating rod, extending from the origin to point X. This length is the distance (d). A third small charged bead (Q) is free to slide on the rod. At what position is the third bead in equilibrium?

2. Coulomb's Law is used for this problem. F = kqq/d

F[1][/SUB] = kQ(3q)/x[2][/SUP]
F[2][/SUB] = kQq/(d-x)[2][/SUP]

F[1][/SUB] = F[2][/SUB]

3. I am attempting to solve for x.

3 (d-x)[2][/SUP] = (x)[2][/SUP]

I know I could make both side a square root so I have x one side, but I need help beyond this.

I also need to show all steps. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, thom.
Looks good so far!
Recommend you expand the left side, collect like terms to get a quadratic equation.

I'm passing on a tip I find really helpful: don't bother with those sub, sup codes. Copy the ² symbol from the bottom of my post, or the complete set here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=346

Last edited by a moderator:
[tex] \frac{3}{x^2}=\frac{1}{(d-x)^2} \Rightarrow 3x^2-6dx+3d^2=x^2\Rightarrow 2x^2-6dx+3d^2=0\Rightarrow x^2-3dx+3/2d^2=0[/tex]
[tex]
x_{1,2}=\frac{3d}{2}\pm\sqrt{\frac{9d^2}{4}-\frac{3d^2}{2}}=\frac{3d}{2}\pm\sqrt{\frac{3d^2}{4}}=\frac{3\pm\sqrt{3}}{2}d
[/tex]
I hope I haven't made a mistake...

That checks out when using the + sign. The other solution is larger than d, so it has to be extraneous.

To solve this problem, we can use the principle of equilibrium, which states that the net force on an object must be equal to zero for it to be in equilibrium. In this case, the third bead will be in equilibrium when the net force acting on it is equal to zero.

Using Coulomb's Law, we can calculate the forces acting on the third bead from the two fixed beads. The force F[1] acting on the third bead from the bead with charge 3q is given by F[1] = kQ(3q)/x^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant and x is the distance from the third bead to the bead with charge 3q. Similarly, the force F[2] acting on the third bead from the bead with charge q is given by F[2] = kQq/(d-x)^2, where d is the distance between the two fixed beads and (d-x) is the distance from the third bead to the bead with charge q.

To find the equilibrium position, we need to set F[1] = F[2] and solve for x. This will give us the position where the net force on the third bead is zero. Using the equation F[1] = F[2], we get:

kQ(3q)/x^2 = kQq/(d-x)^2

Simplifying this equation, we get:

3q/(x^2) = q/((d-x)^2)

Cross-multiplying and simplifying, we get:

3q(d-x)^2 = qx^2

Expanding the brackets, we get:

3qd^2 - 6qdx + 3qx^2 = qx^2

Simplifying further, we get:

3qd^2 - 6qdx + 2qx^2 = 0

This is a quadratic equation in terms of x, and we can solve it using the quadratic formula. The solutions to this equation will give us the two possible equilibrium positions for the third bead. However, since the third bead is free to slide on the rod, it can only be at one position at a time. Therefore, we need to choose the positive solution for x, which will give us the unique equilibrium position for the third bead.

Finally, we can substitute the value of x into the equation d-x to find the distance from the origin to the equilibrium position of the

1. What is the best approach for solving a charge problem?

The best approach for solving a charge problem depends on the specific problem and the available resources. However, a common approach is to first gather all the necessary information and data, then use mathematical equations and principles to analyze the problem and find a solution.

2. How do I determine the charge of an object?

The charge of an object can be determined by measuring the amount of excess or deficit of electrons on its surface. This can be done using a device called an electrometer or by observing the interaction of the object with other charged objects.

3. What is the difference between positive and negative charges?

Positive charges are associated with an excess of protons, while negative charges have an excess of electrons. Positive charges attract negative charges, while positive charges repel other positive charges. Similarly, negative charges attract positive charges and repel other negative charges.

4. How can I calculate the force between two charged objects?

The force between two charged objects can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. The equation is F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where k is a constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

5. What is the significance of solving charge problems?

Solving charge problems is essential in understanding and predicting the behavior of charged objects and the interactions between them. This knowledge is crucial in many fields, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering, and has practical applications in designing and operating electronic devices, power systems, and more.