2D collision, both angles given, both final velocities unknown.

In summary, The bowling ball moves with a velocity of 8 m/s and impacts the pin at a 45 degree angle. The impact deflected the ball 10 degrees from it's original path and the pin moves along a path 45 degrees from the original path of the ball after the collision.
joshonator
I'm trying to figure out what formula to get started in this question:

A 7kg bowling ball moving with a velocity of 8 m/s strikes a single pin of mass 1.36kg. The impact deflects the bowling ball 10 degrees from it's original path. The pin moves along a path 45 degrees from the original path of the ball after the collision. Calculate the velocities of (a) the ball and (b) the pin just after the collision.

Obviously the formula m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2' can't be used since both final velocities are unknown.

I know that:
P1y = -P2y
Pox = P1x + p2x

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums. FYI, I have moved your question to our https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=153" area; please post future homework questions there.

joshonator said:
I'm trying to figure out what formula to get started in this question:

A 7kg bowling ball moving with a velocity of 8 m/s strikes a single pin of mass 1.36kg. The impact deflects the bowling ball 10 degrees from it's original path. The pin moves along a path 45 degrees from the original path of the ball after the collision. Calculate the velocities of (a) the ball and (b) the pin just after the collision.

Obviously the formula m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2' can't be used since both final velocities are unknown.

I know that:
P1y = -P2y
Pox = P1x + p2x

Thanks.
The m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2' formula is really two formulas; one for the x direction and another for the y direction. Try writing the two separate equations, using the angle info, i.e. sin and cos of 10 and 45 degrees.

Last edited by a moderator:
X: (7)(8) = (7)V1'cos10 + (1.36)V2'cos45
Y: 0 = (7)V1'sin10 - (1.36)V2'sin45

The problem I am having is that there are still two unknowns.

I believe that the angle of the pin should be 35 degrees since the 45 was measured from the deflected ball, which was 10 degrees from your axis. Then you have 2 equations and 2 unknowns

JHamm said:
I believe that the angle of the pin should be 35 degrees since the 45 was measured from the deflected ball, which was 10 degrees from your axis. Then you have 2 equations and 2 unknowns

The pin was at 45 degrees to the original path of the ball, not the new direction of the ball!

Perhaps that could have been stated more clearly with the words in a different order.

After the collision, the pin moves along a path 45 degrees from the original path of the ball.

I agree that 45 degrees is the correct angle.

JHamm is correct in pointing out that there are now 2 equations for those 2 unknowns, so the unknowns can be solved for.

I am trying to solve the angled 2D-Elastic collision.
I know the final velocity and angle of Mass-2 before and after the collision.
I want to calculate the Velocity and Angle of the Mass-1 before and after the hitting.
Can you help me that how should I proceed ?

What would be the case, if the ball is collided with the plate. Just like the table tennis.
Can we also consider the collision between the table tennis racket and ball as the 2D collision like collision between two ball ? ?
Will the shape of the plate will effect the equations ?

1. What is a 2D collision?

A 2D collision is a type of collision that occurs in a two-dimensional space. It involves two objects or particles that collide with each other, causing a change in their velocities and directions.

2. What is meant by "both angles given" in a 2D collision?

When both angles are given in a 2D collision, it means that the directions of the two objects' velocities before and after the collision are known. These angles are typically measured from a fixed reference point, such as the x-axis.

3. What does it mean if both final velocities are unknown in a 2D collision?

If both final velocities are unknown in a 2D collision, it means that the velocities of the two objects after the collision are not given. This can happen when the objects stick together after the collision, or if the collision is elastic and the velocities need to be calculated using the conservation of momentum and energy equations.

4. How do you calculate the final velocities in a 2D collision when both angles are given?

The final velocities in a 2D collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and energy equations. These equations take into account the masses of the objects, their initial velocities, and the angles at which they collide. By solving these equations, the final velocities can be determined.

5. What are some real-life examples of 2D collisions?

Some real-life examples of 2D collisions include a game of billiards, where two balls collide and change direction and speed, or a car accident, where two vehicles collide and their velocities are affected. Other examples include a ball bouncing off a wall or a tennis racket hitting a ball.