How Does the Ecological Footprint Model Evaluate Resource Sustainability?

• Thread starter antfm
  • Start date
In summary, the Ecological Footprint Model (EFM) estimates that each human requires an average of 2.3 global hectares of productive land to sustain their needs, while Earth's productive capacity is only 1.9 global hectares per capita. This means that our global ecological demand exceeds Earth's capacity by 120%, or the equivalent of needing 1.2 Earths to regenerate what is used in one year. However, it is unclear where this unbalance is evaluated or measured according to the model. The EFM also takes into account factors such as the Fishing Ground Footprint and forest area needed to absorb carbon dioxide emissions. Despite not being able to fully support or reject the model, further understanding of its predictions and evaluations
antfm
Hi. This is a question about the Ecological Footprint Model (EFM), just in case someone could give some insight.
According to the EFM (Rees & Wackernagel, 1995), the average amount of productive land to satisfy the needs of each human being at the moment is about 2.3 global hectares. And the productive capacity on Earth is estimated about 1.9 global hectares per capita.
Our global ecological demand, according to this, would be the equivalent to 120 percent of Earth's capacity to sustain us. In other words it would require 1.2 Earths. or one Earth for 1.2 years, to regenerate what is used in one year (These are data for year 2004).
My problem to understand this unbalance is that if it was real it should already be detectable or measurable somehow. Somewhere there should already be a lack of resources.
I'd appreciate any help to grasp the idea if you have some understanding of this model. I'm not interested in supporting or rejecting it, just in understanding how it describes the situation.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
What about the oceans? Are they factored into this 1.9 hectare figure?

AM

Thanks Andrew,
Yes, I think the model includes an evaluation of what is called the Fishing Ground Footprint (area needed to produce the fish and seafood a country consumes).
The same way it includes an evaluation of forest area needed to absorb the carbon dioxide emissions resulting from a country's fossil fuel use.
What I try to see is that assuming that the model was right (which I don't know) and according to its predictions, the unbalance of Earth's resources to sustain human population had already been reached. But I don't see how or where this is evaluated
by the model. (or in that case, unfortunately, tested).

Related to How Does the Ecological Footprint Model Evaluate Resource Sustainability?

What is an ecological footprint?

An ecological footprint is a measure of the impact of human activities on the environment. It calculates the amount of land and resources needed to sustain an individual, community, or society.

How is ecological footprint calculated?

Ecological footprint is calculated by considering various factors such as energy consumption, food consumption, transportation, waste production, and land use. The calculation takes into account how much land is needed to produce the resources consumed and absorb the waste produced.

Why is it important to calculate ecological footprint?

Calculating ecological footprint helps us understand the impact of human activities on the environment. It can help us identify areas where we can reduce our ecological footprint and live more sustainably. It also allows us to compare the ecological footprint of different countries or regions and track changes over time.

What is a sustainable ecological footprint?

A sustainable ecological footprint is when the resources consumed by an individual, community, or society are within the carrying capacity of the earth. This means that the consumption does not exceed the earth's ability to regenerate those resources.

How can we reduce our ecological footprint?

There are many ways to reduce our ecological footprint, such as reducing energy and water consumption, choosing sustainable modes of transportation, reducing food waste, and recycling and composting. It is also important to support companies and policies that prioritize sustainability and conservation of resources.