Distance between 2 points on a projectile's path

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a kinematics problem for an upper division mechanics course. The solution focuses on finding the vertical component of the velocity and using it to calculate the time and distance between two points. However, there is also a condition for maximizing the distance traveled, which can be achieved by setting the horizontal and vertical components of the velocity equal to each other. This will result in a quadratic equation with a discriminant that can be plugged into the original equations to match the given solution.
aftershock

Homework Statement

This doesn't seem like much more than a kinematics problem but it's for an upper division mechanics course so I chose to post it here. Feel free to move to intro if necessary.

i6psz.jpg

Homework Equations

kinematics equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I focused only on the vertical component to find the speed at point 1:

V2=Vy2 -2gh

V=√(Vy2 -2gh)

Now I found the time it takes to get from point 1 to the top of the path:

0 = √(Vy2 -2gh) -gt

t = √(Vy2 -2gh) /g

To get from the top to point 2 would take the same amount of time so the total time to get from point 1 to 2 is 2*√(
Vy2 -2gh) /g

Since there's no acceleration in the x direction the distance between the two points is

2Vx*√(Vy2 -2gh) /g

I think this is the correct answer, however I can't get it to match the given solution. Furthermore even if this is correct it seems like it would take a lot of algebra to match the given solution, leading me to believe another approach was taken. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
There was another condition: the distance traveled must be maximized. That means a particular condition on Vx and Vy. Get it, then plug into your equation.

voko said:
There was another condition: the distance traveled must be maximized. That means a particular condition on Vx and Vy. Get it, then plug into your equation.

As in theta should be 45 degrees?

EDIT: This would mean the horizontal and vertical components are initially equal making the equations match. Thank you!

Last edited:
Try looking at it this way:

You're probably effectively solving the quadratic equation y=h. The distance between the two solutions is going to be twice the discriminant appearing in your quadratic formula.

Express Vx & Vy in terms of V0. (Use the information in the problem statement.)

Edit: voko beat me to it.

1. What is the formula for calculating the distance between two points on a projectile's path?

The formula for calculating the distance between two points on a projectile's path is the Pythagorean theorem, which is d = √((x2−x1)^2 + (y2−y1)^2). This formula takes into account the horizontal and vertical distances between the two points.

2. How does the angle of projection affect the distance between two points on a projectile's path?

The angle of projection affects the distance between two points on a projectile's path because it determines the direction and shape of the path. A higher angle will result in a longer distance between the two points, while a lower angle will result in a shorter distance.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating the distance between two points on a projectile's path?

The factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating the distance between two points on a projectile's path include air resistance, wind speed, and the initial velocity and angle of projection.

4. Can the distance between two points on a projectile's path be negative?

No, the distance between two points on a projectile's path cannot be negative. Distance is always a positive value and represents the length of the path between two points.

5. How is the distance between two points on a projectile's path related to the time of flight?

The distance between two points on a projectile's path is directly related to the time of flight. The longer the projectile is in the air, the greater the distance between the two points will be. This relationship can be represented by the equation d = vt, where d is the distance, v is the initial velocity, and t is the time of flight.