Stable oscillation of a blanket in a dryer?

In summary, a person noticed a strange periodic motion of a blanket in a dryer, which usually moves chaotically. This motion lasted for about one second and repeated for at least 20 cycles. After resetting the dryer and shaking the blanket, the motion stopped. Another person explained that this may be due to the synchronization of the drum/blade period and the object's period, causing resonance and changing the noise and vibration.
Physics Monkey
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Hi everyone,

Today I noticed something curious while I was drying a blanket in a dryer. The dryer was turning and the blanket was jumbling around as usual, but then I realized the motion was approximately periodic. This periodic motion was strange to me.

Of course, the dryer is driven on a periodic cycle, but in my experience (not that I've really looked very closely), the clothes in the dryer usually move chaotically.

The blanket moved through a variety of shapes and around in the dryer over the course of about one second, then the whole process would repeat. I observed at least 20 periods of roughly the same motion. Afterwards I tried resetting the dryer and shaking the blanket, and when the dryer started again, there was no longer any stable oscillation.

Just curious if anyone else has ever seen something like this or knows anything about it?

It's funny because it really bothered my dog, the appearance of this rythmic and fairly loud beating noise.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes I've seen it. Not that I make a habit of staring into a tumble drier :-)

Driers have paddles or blades so objects in the drier are lifted and then allowed to tumble/fall. There are two time constants 1) the drum/blade period and 2) objects period. What I think happens is that under the right conditions these two beat together or get in sync. Perhaps it occurs when the object lands in the same position with respect to a blade each time.

At resonance an oscilating system absorbs the maximium power from the driving source so not surprising if noise and vibration change at resonance.

1. What causes a blanket to oscillate in a dryer?

The oscillation of a blanket in a dryer is caused by a combination of factors, including the rotation of the dryer drum, the weight and size of the blanket, and the airflow created by the dryer's heating element.

2. How can I prevent my blanket from oscillating in the dryer?

To prevent your blanket from oscillating in the dryer, you can try placing a few dry towels in the dryer with the blanket. The towels will help absorb excess moisture and weight, reducing the likelihood of oscillation. You can also try using a dryer with a lower heat setting and shorter cycle.

3. Is it safe for my dryer to have a blanket oscillating inside?

In most cases, it is safe for a dryer to have a blanket oscillating inside. However, if the blanket is constantly hitting the sides of the dryer or getting tangled, it can cause damage to the dryer or the blanket. It is important to monitor the oscillation and stop the dryer if necessary.

4. Can a stable oscillation of a blanket in a dryer cause damage to the dryer?

A stable oscillation of a blanket in a dryer is not likely to cause damage to the dryer. However, if the blanket is constantly hitting the sides of the dryer or getting tangled, it can cause damage over time. It is important to monitor the oscillation and stop the dryer if necessary.

5. How can I fix a blanket that is constantly oscillating in the dryer?

If your blanket is constantly oscillating in the dryer, you can try placing a few dry towels in the dryer with the blanket. This will help absorb excess moisture and weight, reducing the likelihood of oscillation. You can also try using a dryer with a lower heat setting and shorter cycle. If these methods do not work, it may be best to air dry the blanket instead of using the dryer.