Tips for Buying a Home""Buying a Home: Tips to Make the Process Easier

In summary, according to sources, the correct spelling of L'Hospital is "l'Hospital." However, the two most common spellings, "l'Hospital" and "l'Hôpital," are equivalent.
D H
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
tumblr_ltzc6oCbJY1qc9u65o1_500.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
:rofl:

Lol! What textbook is that?

Since the number of guns in the USA is the same order as the number of people, Bayes' theorem would suggest that any weirdo who wants to talk about math in a dark alleyway probably has a gun. So what's unreal about the textbook scenario?

Eh, we need better distribution information though. Everyone in Alaska has five guns.

But do they have dark alleyways in Alaska? If not, the number of firearms is irrelevant.

(There is at least one weirdo in Alaska - but I don't remember Ms Palin ever attempting to talk about math)

No, the rule in rural Alaska is don't go onto people's yards at night when cutting through the woods because some crazy old man with a shotgun might feel threatened, especially if your'e wearing a hoodie.

I love it when textbooks have terrible (read: awesome) jokes.

I think math weirdos use pipe bombs.

I love that he purposely misspelled l'Hopital.

Who didn't think, back in their uni days; "Hey! That looks like a French Hospital, without an 's' "?

OmCheeto said:
I love that he purposely misspelled l'Hopital.

Who didn't think, back in their uni days; "Hey! That looks like a French Hospital, without an 's' "?

According to sources, this is a valid spelling.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LHospitalsRule.html

Note that l'Hospital's name is commonly seen spelled both "l'Hospital" (e.g., Maurer 1981, p. 426; Arfken 1985, p. 310) and "l'Hôpital" (e.g., Maurer 1981, p. 426; Gray 1997, p. 529), the two being equivalent in French spelling.

The circumflex is there to indicate a following 's' character was "ess"-orcised from the word. "Ess"-orcisms were doubtlessly performed on hapless students of the language by well-meaning French clergymen, masquerading as instructors. Ah the joys of parochial school!

MisterX said:
According to sources, this is a valid spelling.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LHospitalsRule.html

Bah! Show me the birth certificate!

----------------------
Ok. I went to my pre-internet encyclopædia and they spelled it L'Hospital.
But my college text spells it L'Hopital.
Interesting footnote in my textbook, about how L'Hospital came by the rule.
It's mirrored on wiki, so I won't bother typing it in.
Probably not a bad idea they kept L'Hospital's name, as those Bernoullis bred like mathematical rats!

1. What should I consider when looking for a home?

When buying a home, it is important to consider factors such as location, size, price, and neighborhood. Location is crucial as it can impact your daily commute, access to amenities, and potential resale value. The size of the home should also match your needs and future plans. Additionally, consider the price and whether it fits within your budget. Lastly, research the neighborhood to ensure it is safe, convenient, and fits your lifestyle.

2. How much should I save for a down payment?

The general rule of thumb is to save at least 20% of the home's purchase price for a down payment. However, this amount may vary depending on your financial situation and the type of mortgage you qualify for. It is important to discuss your options with a lender to determine the best down payment amount for you.

3. What should I look for during a home inspection?

A home inspection is a crucial step in the home buying process. It involves a professional inspecting the property for any potential issues or damages. It is important to look for any structural problems, plumbing or electrical issues, and signs of water damage. Also, pay attention to the age and condition of major appliances and systems, such as the HVAC and roof.

4. How can I negotiate the price of a home?

Negotiating the price of a home can be a tricky process. It is important to do your research and know the market value of similar homes in the area. You can also negotiate based on any repairs or updates needed in the home. It is also helpful to have a real estate agent on your side who can negotiate on your behalf.

5. What are the closing costs associated with buying a home?

Closing costs are fees paid at the end of the home buying process, typically ranging from 2-5% of the home's purchase price. These costs include appraisal fees, title insurance, attorney fees, and more. It is important to budget for these costs in addition to your down payment and mortgage payments.