Quick easy question to make sure i got this

• Thread starter Gecko
  • Start date
In summary, the domain of f(x) = \sqrt {x-1} is equal to dom(f) = [1, \infty) and it can also be any subset of R or C, depending on the codomain. The symbols [x,y) mean that the domain is equal to or greater than x, but less than y, while (x,y) means that the domain is greater than x but less than y. The question about the domain of f(x) = \sqrt {x-1} is not well-posed and should be clarified by specifying the function's codomain and whether it is considered as a subset of RxR or any other algebraically closed field.
Gecko
does the domain of [tex]f(x) = \sqrt {x-1}[/tex] equal [tex]dom(f) = (1,\infty)[/tex]? if wrong, can you tell me what i did wrong? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
x = 1 would be included.

f is (presumably) a function into R, and then taking any subset of [1, inf) as its domain will also work. However, if you set f's codomain equal to C (the complex numbers), then its domain could be any subset of R or C... It doesn't seem like a particularly well-posed question.

the question was exactly "What is the domain of [tex]f(x) = \sqrt {x-1}[/tex]?" so the answer is [tex]dom(f) = [1, \infty) [/tex]? and its in the very begginning of the book so i don't think it would go into complex numbers (seeing as i have no idea what they are) i just wanted to make sure i was understanding the material up to this point.

oh yeah, does [x,y) mean the the domain can be equal to or greater than x and greater than y, or is it less than y? and (x,y) means that its greater than x and y or just less than y? i was confused with this in the book as well (wish the answers where in the back >.<)

Last edited:
Gecko said:
the question was exactly "What is the domain of [tex]f(x) = \sqrt {x-1}[/tex]?" so the answer is [tex]dom(f) = [1, \infty) [/tex]?
Your book is very sloppy in asking this (along with most other books).
What it should have said is:

(Given that the value of f should be a real number), What is the MAXIMAL domain we can assign to this function?
The parenthesized condition might be dropped.

Gecko said:
does [x,y) mean the the domain can be equal to or greater than x and greater than y, or is it less than y? and (x,y) means that its greater than x and y or just less than y? i was confused with this in the book as well (wish the answers where in the back >.<)

[x, y) means that the domain is equal to or greater than x, but less than y.
(x, y) means that the domain is greater then x but less than y.

Muzza said:
It doesn't seem like a particularly well-posed question.

It isn't a well posed question. In fact it is an abhorrently incorrect question that makes many of us of the 'pure' persuasion want to commit murder. However, it is also a very common [kind of] question, and one must always append the words: where the function is considered as a subset of RxR, and the domain is maximal with respect to this property.

(Not for the digestion of the OP, but perhaps for Muzza: the domain could be taken as any algebraically closed field, and seeing as no range is specified at all even that is assuming too much. The domain and Range are part of the definition of the function and should not be omitted. But that doesn't stop every calc/pre-calc course I've seen doing this.)

1. What is the purpose of the "Quick easy question to make sure i got this"?

The purpose of the "Quick easy question to make sure i got this" is to ensure that the person asking the question has understood a concept or idea correctly. It is often used as a quick check for understanding before moving on to more complex topics.

2. How do you come up with a "Quick easy question to make sure i got this"?

Coming up with a "Quick easy question to make sure i got this" requires a good understanding of the topic at hand. It should be a simple and concise question that tests the key points of the concept. It can also be helpful to think about common misconceptions or areas that may be confusing for others.

3. Can a "Quick easy question to make sure i got this" be used in any subject or field?

Yes, a "Quick easy question to make sure i got this" can be used in any subject or field as long as it is relevant to the topic being discussed. It is a useful tool for checking understanding in both scientific and non-scientific areas.

4. How do you know if someone has answered a "Quick easy question to make sure i got this" correctly?

If someone answers a "Quick easy question to make sure i got this" correctly, they will demonstrate a clear understanding of the key points and concepts. They should be able to provide a concise and accurate response without hesitation.

5. Is it important to include "Quick easy question to make sure i got this" in scientific research or experiments?

Yes, it is important to include "Quick easy question to make sure i got this" in scientific research or experiments as it helps to ensure that all team members are on the same page and have a solid understanding of the methods and results. It also allows for any potential misunderstandings to be addressed and corrected early on.