Exploring Neutrality in Atoms and Hydrogen Mass

In summary, neutral atoms contain an equal amount of protons and electrons, but this does not mean that they do not create electric forces. However, the net charge of the atom is zero because the forces created by the protons and electrons cancel each other out. The atomic mass of an atom is not necessarily equal to the number of protons it contains, as it may also have neutrons. The effect of the electric field around an atom is time-averaged to be zero, despite the constant movement of the electron around the nucleus.
boris16
hiya

1)

Why do we call atom containing equal amount of protons and electrons neutral? For example:

We have a neutral atom. But the fact that atom is said to be neutral doesn't mean that objects near this atom don't feel electric forces from protons ( and electrons ) which this atom contains? Aren't in fact electric forces and thus EF caused by protons and electrons in this atom even greater ( at least in some places around this atom ) than if atom lacked electrons and was thus positively charged? If this is indeed the case, why call it neutral? Wouldn't word 'neutral' suggest that this atom no longer creates EF in nearby area?
2)

We have neutral object (object containing same amount of protons and electrons). Are atoms that are building blocks of this neutral object positioned in such a way so that electric forces caused by individual atoms in this object cancel each other out ( and thus object's EF is zero )?
3)

Atomic mass of hydrogen atom is 1 u ( where 'u' is atomic mass unit ).
Hydrogen atom contains one proton.
Mass of single proton is 1 u. Since hydrogen also contains one neutron of same mass as proton, shouldn't hydrogen have mass M

M = mass(proton) + mass(neutron) = 1u + 1u = 2u ?

thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1) and 2) : Neutral doesn't mean "without charge", it means "without net charge".

3) : "Since hydrogen also contains one neutron..." This is not true; you're describing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deuterium" , a less common isotope of hydrogen. 99.985% of hydrogen atoms have no neutron in their nucleus.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC426913 said:
1) and 2) : Neutral doesn't mean "without charge", it means "without net charge".

I only vaguely understand what you are saying. I know about terms such as "net force" or "net electric force", but am not quite sure how to interpret "net charge"

DaveC426913 said:
3) : "Since hydrogen also contains one neutron..." This is not true; you're describing deuterium, a less common isotope of hydrogen. 99.985% of hydrogen atoms have no neutron in their nucleus.

Is that also true for atoms of other elements?

If you have something with a charge of +1 being orbited by a charge of -1 then the net charge in the system is +1 + (-1) = 0

All other elements' atomic nucleus contain neutrons.

Kurdt said:
If you have something with a charge of +1 being orbited by a charge of -1 then the net charge in the system is +1 + (-1) = 0

But how does that affect atom's surroundings (in terms of electric field this atom creates etc )? Net force can be explained using vectors...is that also true for net charge?

Kurdt said:
All other elements' atomic nucleus contain neutrons.
So an atom containing 6 protons has mass 12 u?

The reason Hydrogen has a amu or u of 1 is that its the definition of u, all other elements are compared to the mass of H.

boris16 said:
So an atom containing 6 protons has mass 12 u?

No, that is ony true if it also has 6 neutrons, which is not allways the case.

Last edited:
Atomic mass unit if I remember correctly is based on the mass of carbon twelve not hydrogen. The mass of 1u is an approximation. You are correct in saying that the atoms affect their surroundings but only very slightly. The elctron 'orbits' the atom and time averaged effect of the electric fields is zero.

For the following to be true atom must have same amount of protons and electrons?

Kurdt said:
You are correct in saying that the atoms affect their surroundings but only very slightly. The elctron 'orbits' the atom and time averaged effect of the electric fields is zero.

You mean because electron orbits the protons it changes its position with great speed in such a way, that while it does create EF1 in time T1 ( at time T1 electron is at position P1 ), it then changes position and in time T2 is at position P2 and creates another electric field EF2.
Forces created by EF2 and EF1 sum to zero ( almost ) and thus there is almost no EF present nearby this atom?

It would make sense, but since effect of gravity force is instant and way faster than speed of any electron, by the time electron is at position P2, electric field EF1 does no longer exist!

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you're getting at with the gravity? Also gravity does not act instantaneously.

Kurdt said:
I'm not sure what you're getting at with the gravity? Also gravity does not act instantaneously.

uh, I meant the effect of electric force is instant. So by the time electron is at position P2, EF1 is long gone and thus EF2 and EF1 can't cancel each other out. This is why I think the following can't be true:

For the following to be true atom must have same amount of protons and electrons?

Kurdt said:
You are correct in saying that the atoms affect their surroundings but only very slightly. The elctron 'orbits' the atom and time averaged effect of the electric fields is zero.

You mean because electron orbits the protons it changes its position with great speed in such a way, that while it does create EF1 in time T1 ( at time T1 electron is at position P1 ), it then changes position and in time T2 is at position P2 and creates another electric field EF2.
Forces created by EF2 and EF1 sum to zero ( almost ) and thus there is almost no EF present nearby this atom?

I said time averaged which means over a period of time the average electric field is zero. Think about this.

Kurdt said:
I said time averaged which means over a period of time the average electric field is zero. Think about this.

I only vaguely know what you mean by this. I'm guessing this isn't the same as calculating average speed or something similar?

Anyways, my reasoning is :

electron orbits nucleus extremely fast and such even though test charge near this atom might feel EF field when electron is at position P1, electron moves from position P1 to new position so fast that before electric forces ( created by electric field when electron is at position P1 ) manage to move this test charge, electron is already at such position that now new electric forces have opposite direction than they had when electron was at position P1, and since this is all happening so fast, the end result is that test charge doesn't get moved at all ... and thus it is as if there were no forces affecting this test charge? Right?!

Kind of right, its not true that a test charge would not feel any minute electric fields its that over a period of time the force from the field cancels. This field cancels due to the movement of electrons as you say.

Kurdt said:
its that over a period of time the force from the field cancels.

When electron is at position P!, it creates electric field EF1
When electron is at position P2 it creates EF2

But no matter how fast electron is when it is at position P2 there is only one electric field existing, which is EF2. EF1 and electric forces created by EF1 stopped existing the very moment electron moved away from P1. So I don't see how EF1 and EF2 could cancel each other out, since the two electric fields don't exist simultaneously.

If you graph the field strength as a function of time and then integrate over a certain interval it will be zero much like a sine wave.

Kurdt said:
If you graph the field strength as a function of time and then integrate over a certain interval it will be zero much like a sine wave.

That is too advance for my little brain. I prefer if things are explained in simpler terms. In short, answers need to be dumbed down

Sorry but I've run out of ideas for explaining it any other way :|

OK, for one thing, electrons do not orbit the nucleus. Throw away everything about orbits and T and V.

Let's go back to your basic atomic chemistry questions.

Hydrogen has several isotopes. By far the most common is 1H, which means one proton, no neutron. N?ext most common (15/1000ths of 1% of H atoms) is an isotopew commonly called deuterium, 2H (one proton, one neutron). There are traces of the isotope tritium 3H (one proton, two neutrons).

A neutral H atom will have one electron. An ionized H atom will be stipped of its electron and have a net negative charge -1.

Helium is a noble gas, meaning it very much likes to be electrically neutral (this gets into electron orbitals). It has 2 protons and almost always 2 neutrons and almost always 2 electrons.

Lithium's most common isotope is 6: 3P+3N, though there are other isotopes. It, like H, can be stripped of one of its e, leaving it -ive.

Some atoms, rather than losing electrons, like to gain extra electrons (again, orbitals). These atoms become +ively charged.

1. What is neutrality in atoms?

Neutrality in atoms refers to the balance between positively charged protons in the nucleus and negatively charged electrons orbiting the nucleus. This balance results in a neutral overall charge for the atom.

2. How is neutrality maintained in atoms?

Neutrality in atoms is maintained through the equal number of positively charged protons and negatively charged electrons. If an atom gains or loses electrons, it becomes an ion and is no longer neutral.

3. What is the role of neutrons in neutrality?

Neutrons have no charge, so they do not contribute to the overall neutrality of an atom. However, they play a crucial role in maintaining the stability and mass of the atom.

4. How does hydrogen mass affect neutrality?

The mass of hydrogen does not directly affect its neutrality. However, the number of protons and electrons in the atom determines its mass and overall charge, which in turn affects its neutrality.

5. How do scientists explore neutrality in atoms and hydrogen mass?

Scientists use various experiments and techniques, such as mass spectrometry and electron microscopy, to study the structure and properties of atoms and their mass. They also use mathematical models and theories to understand the principles behind neutrality in atoms and hydrogen mass.