Didn't receive Confirmation E-mail

• Thread starter TestUser12
  • Start date
In summary, the user registration process seems to be having some problems. The user is trying to register an account with a different email address, but the confirmation email never arrives. The user is also having problems with the email notifications.
TestUser12
Good Morning all.

I registered an account here with the username "Capuchin" but I never received the confirmation e-mail.

I don't have any spam filters set up, so i don't believe it got caught, and I have checked that the e-mail settings are correct in the profile.

Can someone fix this for me? Get it to send me another confirmation e-mail? I couldn't find any way to get it to do this myself.

Many thanks.

PS: I can't seem to do anything with the account, which is why I have registered this one using a different e-mail address.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
does your e-mail have a "." in it by chance? both e-mails i registered had a period and it never came. then i tried my gmail account that had no period in it and it worked.

ie: test.user@gmail.com

No it doesnt, but the one I registered this account with does!

It seems we have a problem with the user registration process. Thanks for reporting this, since each detail you provide us helps us determine if there are particular "triggers" that are the problem, or something more general.

One thought that comes to mind as there are now two post reports on this is whether it's the service provider blocking the confirmation emails before you even see them. This may be ruled in or out if you can share who your service provider is, and the other person who posted about this problem a few posts down the page could also share this information. You don't need to put it in a post here if you are concerned about privacy issues, but can send it as a Private Message to Greg Bernhardt or Chroot. They can look into whether there is a common service provider blocking emails from PF and find out why. It's possible that someone spoofed a PF address at some point for spam and the registration emails are getting rejected by the ISP's servers. I know we had a similar problem with our university emails for a while getting bounced from a major service provider's email system because someone was spamming them (don't know if it was a virus or intentional) from one of the university accounts, so that had to get resolved directly with the service provider once the spammer was dealt with. In that case, as may be happening here, there were no notifications sent back that the messages were bouncing, they just got dumped from the ISP's servers and people figured it out when sending things that were expected and people would let them know it was never received.

Nothing yet. I tried to register with "Capuchin" about a month ago, and have only just gotten around to trying to sort out what happened :)

My ISP is PlusNet.

Any progress?

I just sent myself a pm (with notification) and an email and got neither the email nor the notification...

Eeek! I thought I was a harmless anomaly! I didn't mean to uncover all of this!

TestUser12 said:
Eeek! I thought I was a harmless anomaly! I didn't mean to uncover all of this!

We're glad you did. If something isn't working right, we can't fix it if we don't know there's a problem. At least we seem to have figured out it's a problem on our end. Maybe Greg or Chroot can get your Capuchin account activated sooner than later? :smile:

I'd like it to be activated if they can do that, but they might need confirmation that it IS my e-mail address and I'm not just going through an incredibly laborious process to get an account without a valid email address :p

I don't want to use this account for much longer as the e-mail address is tied to my work and i don't want to receive many notification e-mails and things there.

I'm glad I could help the site :)

russ_watters said:
I just sent myself a pm (with notification) and an email and got neither the email nor the notification...

Really? But I got the email notification!:confused:

There's certainly something "sticky" going on :)

Any more news on this? I'm kind of refraining from participating in the site too much until it can be resolved.

Well, I'm able to run the email diagnostics, and they function correctly -- I can get email from the site to a number of different email address. This doesn't mean everything's necessarily working properly, but the problem may well be on your end, not ours. I will do some additional research.

- Warren

I've only just seen this thread, so apologies if it's past its sell-by date.

When I first registered for PF my email had (and still has) a "." in it, and I had no problems.

However, a few months back the email notifications for threads where I had posted suddenly stopped coming. Actually I didn't really mind about that, so I never bothered to try and find out why, or report it.

Sorry, but I don't have any record of exactly when the emails stopped coming.

Thanks Aleph, I'm still hopeful that the problem will be found.

...I've been trying to get an old account running for a while but am not receiving activation emails. As far as can tell the email traffic (PM notifications, thread subscriptions) stopped about 1.5-2 months ago. No "." :s, caps or anything like in the email address.

The staff have also received emails from members who have recently attempted to update or change their email addresses, and have encountered the same problem where the confirmation email does not arrive and they wind up locked out of their account while it awaits confirmation. There is definitely a glitch in the system somewhere. For starters, anyone who already has a functional account probably should NOT attempt to change their email address associated with the account until this problem is fully resolved. I'm not sure what's going on with new members...it seems hit or miss whether the confirmation emails get through or not. I hope this can be resolved with all the kids starting back in school now...this is the time of year we start getting a lot of new members seeking homework help, and I'd hate for them to be locked out due to some glitch somewhere.

AlephZero said:
a few months back the email notifications for threads where I had posted suddenly stopped coming.

same for me, but anyways those notifications bugged me only

TestUser12 said:
Thanks Aleph, I'm still hopeful that the problem will be found.
Check your Capuchin account, chroot said he activated you.

We *think* the source of the problem has been identified, thanks to Chroot. It's going to take a little longer to get fixed, but hopefully the right thing has been found and it will stop this from happening from now on. Thanks to everyone who has been reporting to us either here or via email to help us gather enough information to start troubleshooting in ernest.

I'm alive! :D

Thanks Guys. TestUser12 is so outta here.

Edit: I'll do some tests with this account tonight and see if I receive thread updates and the like and let you know here how it goes.

Last edited:
Capuchin said:
Edit: I'll do some tests with this account tonight and see if I receive thread updates and the like and let you know here how it goes.

We may not have gotten that resolved by tonight. But your account is at least functional here. But, it seems my ISP has similar issues with delivering email from the PF servers, so I'm able to be a guinea pig for the testing without needing to bother other members with repeated email attempts while we troubleshoot.

Okay, i'll be here to test when you think you've got it solved and it works for you, though :)

Hello, I had this exact problem trying to register. Fortunately I have a 2nd e-mail address and that one worked. The user name I was trying to register is the same as my current one but it had a space (i.e. Captain Barbosa.) My ISP is Wideopenwest.

As far as we know, it has nothing to do with the characters in your email address. It is something our server is doing as it is sending the messages that changes the way the domain appears to the servers receiving the messages, and leads many to reject the message because of the mismatch in domain names. ISPs that use this filter to block mail are not letting it through, while other more "lenient" ISPs or mail clients let it through. The server hosting company needs to fix the problem as it's their servers doing this, not something we've done, so that's why it needs some time to get done.

The reason we initially asked about ISPs is we had reason to suspect we may have wound up on a spam blacklist, and wanted to resolve that problem if it was the case. We've checked on that and it's not the reason the emails are getting trapped.

ok I think we figured out the problem, let us know if anyone gets updates now.

I just got an update for what you just said! :)

Yay! It's fixed! I subscribed for email notifications on threads to test it, and they have been properly received. Thanks Greg!

Yep, the emails are back. Thanks.

Thanks! \o/

User accounts jostpuur2 and jostpuur3 can be removed. I created them while doing some testing.

Thanks, mine works now!:D

I had the same problem and had to register under a different handle with a different email address. Thanks to Greg for fixing it for me.

...I'm back ... thanks ! :tongue2:

1. Why haven't I received my confirmation email?

There could be several reasons for not receiving a confirmation email. It's possible that the email was sent to your spam or junk folder, so be sure to check there. It's also possible that there was a typo in your email address when you signed up for the confirmation email. If neither of these situations apply, there may be an issue with the email server or there could be a delay in the delivery of the email.

2. How long does it usually take to receive a confirmation email?

The time it takes to receive a confirmation email can vary depending on the email server and any potential delays. In most cases, you should receive the email within a few minutes of signing up. If it has been longer than an hour and you still haven't received the email, it's best to contact the sender or company for further assistance.

3. Can I request a new confirmation email?

Yes, you can usually request a new confirmation email if you haven't received the first one. Some websites or companies may have a "resend confirmation email" option on their sign-up page. If not, you can reach out to the sender or company and request that they resend the email to you.

4. What should I do if I accidentally deleted my confirmation email?

If you accidentally deleted your confirmation email, you can usually request a new one as mentioned in the previous answer. However, if the email contains important information or a unique link, it's best to reach out to the sender or company and explain the situation. They may be able to manually confirm your registration or provide you with a new link.

5. Do I need to confirm my email in order to use the service?

In most cases, yes, you will need to confirm your email in order to use the service. This is a common security measure to ensure that the email address provided belongs to the person signing up. If you are having trouble receiving or confirming the email, it's best to reach out to the sender or company for assistance.