Register to reply

Fitting VS Control Point?

by mymachine
Tags: control, fitting, point
Share this thread:
Mar11-13, 07:40 PM
P: 42
If I construct a curve such start from point A0, A3, to point A6 where A1-A2 and A4-A5 are control points, is called a Bezier curve.

What is it called by and what its equation if I construct and fit a curve start from point A0 > A1 > A2 > A3 > A4 > A5 > A6 such as below image?

Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
Team announces construction of a formal computer-verified proof of the Kepler conjecture
Iranian is first woman to win 'Nobel Prize of maths' (Update)
Mar11-13, 08:33 PM
P: 688
It is called a "spline",

and fitting one usually involves solving a band-diagonal system of equations, and some notions of calculus. (Or you could google for a software library that does the work.)

P.S.: There are actually many kinds of splines; the ones I had in mind, "cubic splines", are described in a link on the Wiki page I mentioned,

But again, it's reinventing the wheel as there are probably libraries to do so.
Mar12-13, 04:26 AM
P: 90
gnuplot will do that for you.
Attached Thumbnails

Register to reply

Related Discussions
Can you move an IR remote control towards your eye up to the point of seeing red? General Physics 3
Best grad schools for control theory/control systems engineering? Academic Guidance 0
Fitting a cosine function to an inflection point and a point with known derivative Calculus 1
Curve fitting and Plane fitting Calculus 2
Dimmer or router speed control as resistance heater level control Electrical Engineering 11