Matrix Chain Multiplication: Optimal way of multiplying

In summary: The algorithm takes two arrays, A and s. The values of A and s are not shown in the conversation, so we cannot determine their values or the value of the algorithm's output. The goal of the algorithm is to find the optimal way to multiply a series of matrices, but we cannot determine the best way without knowing the values of A and s. It is recommended to refer to the book or seek guidance from someone who is familiar with the specific algorithm being discussed.
zak100
Hi,

I am studying Matrix chain Multiplication to find out the optimal way of multiplying a series of matrices so that we can reduce the number of multiplications. I have got this example from the book which multiplies the matrices having dimensions given below:

A1 30 * 35

A2 32 * 15

A3 15 * 5

A4 5 * 10

A5 10 * 20

A6 20 * 25

From these matrices, it creates the 2 tables:

M TABLE.jpg

s table.jpg

The algorithm is given below:

MTM(A, s, I, j)

If j> i

Then Xß MCM(A, s, I, s[I,j])

Y ß MCM(A, s, s[I,j] + 1, j)

return MCM (X, Y)

else return Ai

They are invoking the algorithm by:

MCM(A, s, 1, 6)

Can some body guide me what is the value of A & s?
After that i want to find out the best way of ordering these matrices for multiplication. Some body please guide me.
Zulfi.

Technology news on Phys.org
I guess the book should explain this?

If I'm reading the algorithm correctly, it multiplies t=A1*A2, t=t*A3, s=A5*A6, s=A4*s, t=t*s, return t. This seems to comply with the intuitive idea of picking the longest "edge" available:
first 35 between A1 and A2,
then 20 between A5 and A6,
then 15 between (A1*A2) and A3,
then 10 between A4 and (A5*A6),
and last 5 between (A1*A2*A3) and (A4*A5*A6).
The s-table is a way to drive the calculation, even though it seems a bit complicated. The m-table is probably used to fill in the s-table, and that should be explained in the book you're reading.

Just a side note, if you want to get anywhere in programming, you *absolutely can not* afford typing errors. I is not i, A is not m, 32 is not 35, and MCM is not MTM.

Likes jedishrfu
Hi,
I am correcting my algorithm. I can't find edit option:
1. MCM(A, s, i, j)
2. if j> i
3. then X= MCM(A, s, i, s[i,j])
4. Y = MCM(A, s, s[i,j] + 1, j)
5. return MCM (X, Y)
6. else return Ai

Kindly tell me how to evaluate this algorithm.

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Hi,
I am correcting my algorithm. I can't find edit option:
Mod note: added code tags to preserve original indentation
Code:
1. MCM(A, s, i, j)
2. if j> i
3.        then X= MCM(A, s, i, s[i,j])
4.                 Y = MCM(A, s, s[i,j] + 1, j)
5.                 return MCM (X, Y)
6. else return Ai

Kindly tell me how to evaluate this algorithm.
You don't "evaluate" an algorithm -- you (or the computer) perform the steps in the algorithm.
Step 1. What does MCM(A, s, i, j) mean? What action is performed by this step? What are A and s, and what are the values of i and j? Are A and s two-dimensional arrays?
Step 2. Are the values of i and j known? If not, how can anyone know whether j > i or i < j or i == j?
Step 5. What does MCM(X, Y) mean? What are X and Y? In steps 1, 3, and 4, MCM takes four arguments. In this step there are only two arguments.
Step 6. What is Ai?

Hi,
Thanks for taking interest in my problem.
MCM means Matrix Chain Multiplication & 4 arguments are passed to this algorithm
<
You don't "evaluate" an algorithm -- you (or the computer) perform the steps in the algorithm.
>
I have to evaluate the value return by algorithm by tracing the steps mentioned in it. Its a recursive algorithm. I am doing some tracing work but it I get confused because of the two recursive calls & X & Y will get what value returned by the recursive function.<
Are the values of i and j known? If not, how can anyone know whether j > i or i < j or i == j?

>
Yes I have to call: MCM(A,s,1,6), A & s are shown in the figure which are two tables accessed by i & j
Therefore i=1 & j=6
<
What does MCM(X, Y) mean? What are X and Y? > Sorry this is again a mistake,
1. MCM(A, s, i, j)
2. if j> i
3. then X= MCM(A, s, i, s[i,j])
4. Y = MCM(A, s, s[i,j] + 1, j)
5. return MatrixMultiply (X, Y)
6. else return Ai

This means X & Y are matrices & i have shown their rows & columns above. Again:
A1 30 * 35
A2 35 * 15
A3 15 * 5
A4 5 * 10
A5 10 * 20
A6 20 * 25Thus i want to a know a better method or technique for evaluating (i.e. to find out the value returned by) this recursive function.

Zulfi.

Hi,
I mentioned the invoking statement in my first post also:
<

MCM(A, s, 1, 6)

After that i want to find out the best way of ordering these matrices for multiplication. Some body please guide me.
Zulfi.
>

Zulfi.

zak100 said:

MCM(A, s, 1, 6)

##A## is an array of the input matrices. For example, A[3] is a matrix of 15*5 elements.
##s## is a 2-dimensional array, with values as given in the picture in your first post. The elements that are not shown, such as s[4,2], are not used by the algorithm, so the value of these elements is not important.

Hi,
My friend thanks for your reply.
<A is an array of the input matrices. For example, A[3] is a matrix of 15*5 elements.>
I don't think so because the book has shown the values of A1-A6 in terms of its dimensions. We have to use these dimensions to find out the optimal way of multiplying these matrices.
<
s is a 2-dimensional array, with values as given in the picture in your first post. The elements that are not shown, such as s[4,2], are not used by the algorithm, so the value of these elements is not important.>
No my friend 's' table is very important. That's why book has shown it. I have Solved this problem using recursion tree. Thanks all.

Zulfi.

Hi,
Sorry for wrongly correcting you. I agree with you.

<A is an array of the input matrices. For example, A[3] is a matrix of 15*5 elements.>
The above is correct. Dimensions are stored in another set of variables: p0 to p6 & this is mentioned in another algorithm which is used to create 'm' table.

Thanks for your time.

Zulfi.

1. What is matrix chain multiplication?

Matrix chain multiplication is a mathematical algorithm used to find the most efficient way of multiplying a series of matrices together. It determines the optimal order in which to multiply the matrices in order to minimize the total number of scalar multiplications needed.

2. Why is matrix chain multiplication important?

Matrix chain multiplication is important because it reduces the overall computational cost of multiplying matrices. It is used in various applications such as computer graphics, image processing, and scientific computing.

3. How does matrix chain multiplication work?

The algorithm works by breaking down the problem of multiplying multiple matrices into smaller subproblems. It then uses dynamic programming techniques to solve these subproblems and determine the optimal order of multiplication.

4. What is the time complexity of matrix chain multiplication?

The time complexity of matrix chain multiplication is O(n^3), where n is the number of matrices in the chain. This means that the algorithm has a polynomial time complexity, making it efficient for large matrices.

5. Are there any limitations to matrix chain multiplication?

One limitation of matrix chain multiplication is that it only considers the number of scalar multiplications needed and does not take into account other factors such as memory usage or communication costs. It also assumes that all matrices are compatible for multiplication, which may not always be the case.