Where can I find resources for calculating the deuteron quadrupole moment?

• Thread starter rahuldandekar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moment
In summary, the Deuteron Quadrupole moment is a measure of the distribution of electric charge within the deuteron, and is calculated by measuring the separation between the positive and negative charges and multiplying it by a constant factor. It is significant in understanding the structure and behavior of the deuteron in electric fields, and differs from the Magnetic moment which measures the strength of the nuclear magnetic field. While it can change under certain conditions, it typically has a small impact on the stability of the nucleus.
rahuldandekar
I'm looking for some resources, as part of a project, where the deuteron quadrupole moment is worked out (from, say, trial wavefunctions). Could someone point me to such books/papers?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try Blatt & Weisskopf, an old but reliable nuclear physics text.

Oh, Thanks. I was hoping that text has something... my college library has it.

Related to Where can I find resources for calculating the deuteron quadrupole moment?

1. What is a Deuteron Quadrupole moment?

A Deuteron Quadrupole moment is a measure of the distribution of electric charge within the deuteron, which is a type of atomic nucleus made up of one proton and one neutron. It is a property that characterizes the shape of the nucleus and is important in understanding its behavior in electric fields.

2. How is the Deuteron Quadrupole moment calculated?

The Deuteron Quadrupole moment is calculated by measuring the separation between the positive and negative charges within the deuteron and multiplying it by the total charge of the nucleus. This value is then multiplied by a constant factor to convert it into a unit known as femtometers squared (fm^2).

3. What is the significance of the Deuteron Quadrupole moment?

The Deuteron Quadrupole moment is important in understanding the structure and behavior of the deuteron in electric fields. It helps to explain the stability of the nucleus and its response to external electric fields. It is also used in nuclear physics research to study the structure of other atomic nuclei.

4. How does the Deuteron Quadrupole moment differ from the Magnetic moment?

The Deuteron Quadrupole moment and the Magnetic moment are two different properties of the deuteron. While the Quadrupole moment characterizes the shape of the nucleus, the Magnetic moment is a measure of the strength of the nuclear magnetic field. They are calculated using different methods and have different units of measurement.

5. Can the Deuteron Quadrupole moment change?

Yes, the Deuteron Quadrupole moment can change under certain conditions. For example, it can be influenced by changes in the nuclear structure or by external forces such as electric fields. However, the change in the Quadrupole moment is usually small and does not significantly affect the stability of the nucleus.