Current decay in closed circuit with only 1 resistor

In summary: I'm trying to find an equation to calculate the decay time for a current flowing in a circuit with an unknown resistance. The equation I've been using is I=I0e-t/LaTeX Code: \\tau but I can't seem to find a constant to plug in for t. Any advice?
GarethB84
Hi this is my first post so please be nice :)

1. Homework Statement
The problem has been set up that a circuit containing a resistor and switch is being driven by a power source of unkown potential. The switch is flick to short the power source leaving only the resistor in a closed loop.
Calculate the current decay.
Initial current = 100A
Resistance = 1nLaTeX Code: \\Omega

2. Homework Equations

V=IR
Power = I2R

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not too sure. The power generated, and hence the heat loss can be found to be 1e-5W so that's 1e-5 Joules per second of heat loss.

I'm not sure if we have enough information. Current decay involving inductance or capacitance is well known but just a resistor in a circuit of 'ideal' conductors?

I'm assuming it is an exponential decay of form I=I0e-t/LaTeX Code: \\tau but finding the decay constant is proving tricky. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok I'm a little confused here. If we're dealing with ideal components then it's clear with 0 capacitance and inductance the potential across the resistor drops immediately to 0 when the switch is closed since the current stops flowing in the absence of a source. So you can't make use of power dissipated in resistor because that will give you 0. Did you omit any information? Seems like you're not given enough.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

This is a sub question on a rather larger topic of superconducting magnets. I understand that these magnets can be run in persistent mode, whereby the power source is removed, and due to superconductivity, the current will remain flowing indefinetly. As soon as resistance is introduced into the circuit, the current will decay- the decay time varying with the size of the resistance.

What I'm unclear on is how to find this constant, and the theory behind persistent mode. Is it true the reason for persistent flow is that the energy stored in the magnet (inductance I suppose) pushes the current round the circuit. This energy doesn't decay as no ohmic heating occurs. Am I on the right line here??

If so, then will I have to assume a sensible value of inductance and work from there??

Thanks in advance,

Gareth

What is current decay?

Current decay refers to the decrease in the flow of electric current in a closed circuit over time. This can be caused by various factors such as resistance, capacitance, and inductance.

How does the presence of only 1 resistor affect current decay in a closed circuit?

The presence of only 1 resistor in a closed circuit will result in a constant rate of current decay. This is because the resistor is the only component in the circuit that can impede the flow of current, leading to a gradual decrease in the current over time.

What is the relationship between resistance and current decay in a closed circuit?

The higher the resistance in a closed circuit, the slower the rate of current decay. This is because a higher resistance will impede the flow of current more significantly, leading to a slower decrease in the current over time.

Can current decay be prevented or reversed in a closed circuit with only 1 resistor?

No, current decay cannot be prevented or reversed in a closed circuit with only 1 resistor. The resistor will always impede the flow of current, leading to a decrease in the current over time.

How can the rate of current decay be calculated in a closed circuit with only 1 resistor?

The rate of current decay in a closed circuit with only 1 resistor can be calculated using the formula I = I0e^(-t/RC), where I is the current at a given time, I0 is the initial current, t is the time, R is the resistance, and C is the capacitance. This formula is known as the RC time constant formula.