Fluid motion in venturi flowmeter

In summary, the venturi flowmeter is used to measure the flow rate of water in a solar collector system. It is inserted in a pipe with a diameter of 1.9cm and a venturi diameter of 0.64cm. The manometer tube contains oil with a density of 0.82 times that of water. With a height difference of 1.4cm in the oil levels, the calculated volume flow rate is 1.5 x 10^-5 m^3/sec, which is different from the given answer of 7.2cm^3/sec. However, after checking the calculations and using an online calculator, it appears that the given answer may be incorrect.
vladimir69

Homework Statement

The venturi flowmeter is used to measure the flow rate of water in a solar collector system. The flowmeter is inserted in a pipe with diameter 1.9cm; at the venturi of the flowmeter the diameter is reduced to 0.64cm. The manometer tube contains oil with density 0.82 times that of water. If the difference in oil levels on the two sides of the manometer tube is 1.4cm, what is the volume flow rate?

Homework Equations

[tex]P+\frac{1}{2}\rho v^2 +\rho g h = constant[/tex]

[tex]vA=constant[/tex]

[tex]P=P_{0} + \rho g h[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]P_{i}=[/itex] pressure in the pipe where the diameter is [itex]d_{i}[/itex]
[itex]v_{i}=[/itex] speed of water where the pressure is [itex]P_{i}[/itex]
[itex]d_{1} = 0.019[/itex]
[itex]d_{2} = 0.0064[/itex]
[itex]\rho_{w}[/itex] is the density of water
[itex]\rho_{oil}[/itex] is the density of oil
[itex]H=0.014[/itex] is the height difference of oil

Firstly I neglected the potential energy component to obtain

[tex]P_{1} + \frac{1}{2} \rho_{w} v_{1}^2 = P_{2} + \frac{1}{2} \rho_{w} v_{2}^2[/tex]

[tex]v_{1}A_{1} = v_{2} A_{2} [/tex]

where

[tex]A_{i} = \frac{1}{4}\pi d_{i}^2[/tex]

and

[tex]P_{1}-P_{2}=\rho_{oil} g H[/tex]

popping this into the mix gets

[tex]\rho_{oil} g H + \frac{1}{2} \rho_{w} v_{1}^2 = \frac{1}{2} \rho_{w} v_{2}^2[/tex]

[tex]\rho_{oil} g H + \frac{1}{2} \rho_{w} v_{2}^2\frac{A_{2}^2}{A_{1}^2}- \frac{1}{2} \rho_{w} v_{2}^2=0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\rho_{w}v_{2}^2(1-\frac{A_{2}^2}{A_{1}^2})=\rho_{oil} g H[/tex]

[tex]v_{2}=\sqrt{\frac{\rho_{oil}}{\rho_{w}}\frac{2gH}{(1-\frac{d_{2}^4}{d_{1}^4})}}[/tex]

[tex]v_{2} = 0.4774[/tex]

then the volume flow rate is just

[tex]v_{2}A_{2} = 0.4774 * \frac{1}{4}\pi 0.0064^2 = 1.5 \times 10^{-5} m^3 / sec[/tex]

The book gives an answer of 7.2 cm^3 /sec. Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Weird, your calculations seem good to me. I even checked them with an online calculator:

http://www.efunda.com/formulae/fluids/venturi_flowmeter.cfm#calc

Was there any information in the problem statement about loss of flow after the meter? Though I doubt that is the problem, you'd need to lose about 1/2 the velocity or 3/4 of the kinetic energy in order to get the book answer; and venturi tubes are designed to be low-loss.

p.s. if you use the above online calculator, they will let you try it one time, and after that ask for a login. However, I found that deleting the efunda.com cookie on my computer allowed me to use the calculator a 2nd time.

thanks for checking for me
as for the problem statement, i just checked and its been copied word for word from the book (minus a diagram)

regards,
vladimir

1. How does a venturi flowmeter work?

A venturi flowmeter works by using a constriction in the flow path to increase the velocity of the fluid, causing a pressure drop. This pressure drop is then measured and used to calculate the flow rate of the fluid.

2. What is the advantage of using a venturi flowmeter?

The advantage of using a venturi flowmeter is its accuracy and reliability. It has a minimal pressure drop across the flowmeter, leading to more precise measurements. Additionally, it is not affected by changes in fluid density or viscosity, making it suitable for a wide range of fluids.

3. How is the pressure drop measured in a venturi flowmeter?

The pressure drop in a venturi flowmeter is measured using a differential pressure transducer. This device measures the difference in pressure between the upstream and downstream sections of the venturi.

4. What types of fluids can be measured using a venturi flowmeter?

A venturi flowmeter can be used to measure a variety of fluids, including liquids, gases, and steam. Its accuracy and reliability make it suitable for a wide range of applications in industries such as oil and gas, chemical processing, and water treatment.

5. How is the flow rate calculated using a venturi flowmeter?

The flow rate is calculated using Bernoulli's equation, which relates the pressure drop across the venturi to the fluid velocity. This equation takes into account the fluid density and the dimensions of the venturi to accurately calculate the flow rate.