Comparing 2 sample means of 2 different samples

• Thread starter cse63146
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Means
In summary, we conducted a t-test to determine if the mean in population 2 is less than the mean in population 1, using a significance level of 0.01. The resulting p-value was 0.0079, which is statistically significant. Therefore, we reject the null hypothesis and accept the alternate hypothesis, which suggests that the mean of population 2 is less than the mean of population 1. We also tested the two variances using a significance level of 0.05 and found that the sample variances were not significantly different.
cse63146

Homework Statement

sample 1: size -10, mean -124, variance -1681
sample 2: size -5, mean -68, variance - 481

Assuming equal variance, independent and normality holds

a)Is there any evidence that that the mean in population 2 is is less than the mean in population 1? Use alpha = 0.01. What is the p-value?

b)Test the 2 variances. Alpha = 0.05

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

for a), would I use the following test statistic[tex]t = \frac{\overline{x} - c}{s/\sqrt{n}}[/tex]~[tex]t_{n-1}[/tex]. Just not sure how to incorporate the 2 different sample variances.

Physics news on Phys.org
For a), don't you want to test [tex] H_0 \colon \mu_1 - \mu_2 > 0 [/tex]? What test statistic is appropriate for that?

For 2 independent Normal samples, with common unknown variance [tex]\sigma^2[/tex]

[tex]\frac{(\overline{y}_1 - \overline{y}_2) - (\mu_1 - \mu_2)}{S_p \sqrt{n^{-1}_1 -+n^{-1}_2}}[/tex] is a t distribution with (n1 + n2 - 2) degrees of freedom.

Where S2p = [tex]\frac{(n_1 - 1)S^2_1 + (n_2 -1)S^2_2}{n_1 + n_2 - 2} = 1311.8[/tex]

Not sure how to use the formula though since I don't know mu1 and mu2

Last edited:
Your complete hypotheses would be (I typed [tex] H_0 [/tex] instead of [tex] H_a [/tex] and > rather than [tex] \le [/tex] at first, sorry)

[tex]
\begin{align*}
H_0 \colon & \mu_1 - \mu_2 \le 0 \\
H_a \colon & \mu_1 - \mu_2 > 0
\end{align*}
[/tex]

You don't need to know the actual value of [tex] \mu_1 - \mu_2 [/tex] to use the test statistic: you use the boundary between the two possibilities, which is 0.

[tex]H_0 \colon & \mu_1 - \mu_2 = 0[/tex]

is that another acceptable way to write H0?

Last edited:
cse63146 said:
[tex]H_0 \colon & \mu_1 - \mu_2 = 0[/tex]

is that another acceptable way to write H0?
No, you want the inequality, since that's what matches your problem statement.
Is there any evidence that that the mean in population 2 is is less than the mean in population 1?
From the quote just above (which represents the alternate hypothesis), the null hypothesis is that

[tex] \mu_1 - \mu_2 \leq 0[/tex]

As you wrote it, the probability of the null hypothesis would be zero.

For some reason I thought that it was asking if there was a difference between the 2 means. My mistake. Thanks.

"the probability of the null hypothesis would be zero."

Not sure what you mean here (that would be the only way to write the null in the case of the alternative being two-sided), but many authors would write [tex] H_0 \colon \mu_1 - \mu_2 [/tex] as [tex] H_0 \colon \mu_1 - \mu_2 = 0 [/tex]. It's an odd convention, but it does happen.

My mistake. I was thinking in terms of variables rather than statistics, if that makes any sense. IOW, along these lines: Pr(z = k) = 0.

So I computed the p-value using a t-test, and got the value of 0.0079. Since alpha = 0.01, I can say that the p-value is statistically significant at the 1% level, and I reject the null hypothesis and accept the alternate hypothesis?

Mark44 said:
My mistake. I was thinking in terms of variables rather than statistics, if that makes any sense. IOW, along these lines: Pr(z = k) = 0.

That's rather what I thought - but I have learned to be hesitant making assumptions about the posts of others.

So I computed the p-value using a t-test, and got the value of 0.0079. Since alpha = 0.01, I can say that the p-value is statistically significant at the 1% level, and I reject the null hypothesis and accept the alternate hypothesis?

I haven't checked your calculations, but if the numbers are correct, so is your final statement. However, "accept the alternative hypothesis" is rarely the form a faculty member or researcher wants as the final answer: if you know that the alternative is to be accepted, you should clearly state what this means about the two population means.

Does this sound better:

At the 1% level, the data provides evidence against the null hypothesis in favour of the alternate hypothesis, which implies that the mean of population 2 is less than the mean if population 1.

What is the purpose of comparing 2 sample means of 2 different samples?

The purpose of comparing 2 sample means of 2 different samples is to determine if there is a significant difference between the averages of two groups. This can help researchers understand if there is a meaningful difference in the variables being studied and make conclusions about the population from which the samples were taken.

How do you calculate the difference between two sample means?

The difference between two sample means can be calculated by taking the mean (average) of each sample and subtracting the two values. This will give the numerical difference between the two means, which can then be compared to determine if it is statistically significant.

What is the null hypothesis in comparing 2 sample means of 2 different samples?

The null hypothesis in comparing 2 sample means of 2 different samples is that there is no significant difference between the two groups. This means that any observed difference in the sample means is due to chance and not a true difference in the populations from which the samples were taken.

What is a p-value and how is it used in comparing 2 sample means?

A p-value is the probability of obtaining a result at least as extreme as the observed result if the null hypothesis is true. In comparing 2 sample means, the p-value is used to determine if the observed difference between the means is statistically significant. A smaller p-value indicates a greater likelihood that the observed difference is not due to chance, and thus the null hypothesis can be rejected.

What are some common statistical tests used to compare 2 sample means?

Some common statistical tests used to compare 2 sample means include the t-test, ANOVA, and Mann-Whitney U test. These tests take into account the sample size, variability, and distribution of the data to determine if there is a significant difference between the means of two groups. The specific test used will depend on the research question and the type of data being analyzed.