What is the Branch of Mathematics that Maps Entire Sub-Disciplines?

• Thread starter Lacy33
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around a friend's question about a specific branch of mathematics or metamathematics that deals with mapping sub-disciplines of math and possibly physics. The subject is not category theory or fuzzy set theory, and the person remembers it starting with a "T." The term suggested is "topos theory" which is related to category theory and involves the concept of categories and functors. However, one text refers to category theory as "abstract non-sense." The conversation concludes with the acknowledgement of the importance of time and learning.
Lacy33
A friend just emailed me the following guestion, would anyone know what this field is called please.

"A few years ago a friend and colleague of mine had told me about a branch of mathematics or metamathematics that dealt with mapping entire sub-disciplines of mathematics and, I think, physics.

This had seemed to me or perhaps he told me that this was an extension of topology, and I distinctly remember getting a text on the subject and starting, though only starting to read it.

The question is: what is the name of this subject. It's not category theory nor is it fuzzy set theory, though that's been ""'s primary focus for some time. I thought it was something relatively short beginning with a 'T'.

I've had no luck trying to find the term on the WEB."
Thank you,
Suzanne

Mathematics news on Phys.org
topos theory ?

roger said:
topos theory ?

Thank you very much Roger.

Suzanne

Try "Category Theory". A "category" consists of a collection of objects together with functions, called "morphisms" from the collection of objects to itself. In the category of sets, the morphisms are functions from one set to another. In the category of groups the objects are groups, the morphism are homomorphisms. In the category of topologies, the objects are topological spaces, the morphisms are continuous functions. There are also "functors" from one category to another. One I remember was the "forgetful" functor. A group is a set with an operation defined. The "forgetful" functor from the category of groups to the category of sets mapped each group to its underlying set, each homomorphism to its underlying function, "forgetting" the group operation.

Warning! At least one text I saw referred to category theory, apparently quite seriously, as "abstract non-sense"!

OK.
Thank you HallsofIvy. I will pass this along to my friend.
He may be following this thread now.
Thank you all for your assistance.
So easy to get caught going down a dead end when time is so important and learning even more so.
S

1. What is it called please?

It depends on what "it" refers to. Can you provide more context or information?

2. What is the name of it?

Again, this will depend on what "it" is. Can you give more details?

3. What is the proper term for it?

The proper term will vary depending on the subject matter. Can you specify what "it" is referring to?

4. What is the correct name for it?

The correct name will depend on the specific subject or object being referred to. Can you clarify what you are asking about?

5. What is the term for it?

The term will vary based on the context and subject matter. Can you provide more information about "it"?