Hypereutectic melting point

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of hypoeutectic and hypereutectic compositions in metal alloys and the effect of adding atoms of different melting points to a metal. The answer is found in the colligative properties of solutions, specifically the melting/freezing point depression, as the different atoms interfere with the crystal structure of both species. The example of a silver-copper solid solution is used to demonstrate this concept. The conversation also mentions a demonstration of two elemental solids melting into a liquid at room temperature by simply massaging them together.
mmwave
[Originally posted to material science forum but no reply]

It's no surprise that if I take a particular metal and 'add' atoms of a second metal that has a lower melting point that the Tmelt of the combination is usually lower than that of the pure metal. This is hypoeutectic composition.

But it seems surprising that if a reverse this, take a low Tmelt metal and add atoms of a higher Tmelt the Tmelt of the combination is even lower. This is hypereutectic composition. In fact there is a minimum of Tmelt at the Eutectic composition.

Any insight into why adding a few percent of a higher Tmelt metal can lower the Tmelt of the combination?

Physics news on Phys.org
Colligative properties of solutions, specifically the melting/freezing point depression.

Bystander said:
Colligative properties of solutions, specifically the melting/freezing point depression.

Thanks, but this is just another way of stating my question. Solutions of 2 metals have a lower melting point. It doesn't help me understand why the melting point drops.

I believe that the answer "why" lies in the fact that alloys are not chemically bonded, but more of a mixture, the presence of the different atoms interferes with the crystal structure of both species. Thus the bonds are weaker then if a single species was present.

I have seen 2 elemental room temperature solids mixed to from a liquid at the same temp. (Indium and Rubidium IIRCC)

Integral said:
I believe that the answer "why" lies in the fact that alloys are not chemically bonded, but more of a mixture, the presence of the different atoms interferes with the crystal structure of both species. Thus the bonds are weaker then if a single species was present.

Ok, so let's say we have a silver-Copper solid solution with 20% Cu in the Ag host. This lowers the melting point from 960 C to about 850 C. They are both FCC structures with atomic radii of 0.144 & 0.128. This let's the copper be substitutional in the FCC lattice of the silver host. The presence of the copper weakens the bonds in the surrounding area & strains the lattice (so it starts out with more energy than a lattice without copper). This makes it easier to breakup the solid with thermal energy.

I like it! Thanks.

I have seen 2 elemental room temperature solids mixed to from a liquid at the same temp. (Indium and Rubidium IIRCC)

Cool. Physically how were the 2 solids combined? In powdered form? two solid lumps just touching? This would be a fun demo for any physics class.

As I recall the 2 solids were some what pliable, kinda like a thick putty. When massaged together they just melted into a puddle. I am not sure if body temp was part of the transfromation.

What is hypereutectic melting point?

Hypereutectic melting point is the temperature at which a hypereutectic alloy, which has a higher concentration of solute than the eutectic composition, starts to melt.

How is hypereutectic melting point different from eutectic melting point?

Hypereutectic melting point is higher than eutectic melting point because hypereutectic alloys have a higher concentration of solute, which increases the melting temperature of the alloy.

What factors affect the hypereutectic melting point of an alloy?

The hypereutectic melting point of an alloy is affected by the type and concentration of solute, as well as the cooling rate and composition of the alloy.

Why is hypereutectic melting point important in materials science?

The hypereutectic melting point is important because it determines the temperature at which an alloy will melt, which is crucial for understanding its properties and potential applications.

How is hypereutectic melting point measured?

Hypereutectic melting point is typically measured using techniques such as differential scanning calorimetry (DSC) or thermal analysis, which involve heating the alloy and measuring its thermal behavior.