What is the speed of gravitational waves?

In summary, gravitational waves are waves of space-time that propagate at the speed of light. They are caused by an oscillating source, and are thought to be evidence for the inflationary universe model.
s.martie07
I was wandering through the net when I came to know that the Newtonian gravitation suffers discrepancies at some regions of space.

On further reading I came to know about gravitational waves. Fundamentally matter has mass and mass is responsible for gravity. Then it may be anything from small meteor to big galaxies. They all form their own gravitational waves in space time fabric.
My question is

What is the speed of such gravitational waves?

If it is the speed of light, it means that if the Sun is moved from its original position suddenly, there will be a gradual wave of disorder moving outwards in our solar system.

That means Earth will lose its orbit after 7.5 minutes?
also Pluto will lose its orbit after 328 minutes?

I do not understand this phenomena.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right, it is the speed of light, although it is yet to be experimentally measured. You're also right that the planets will lose their orbit in order of distance from the Sun.
Skip to 7:20 in this video for a visual explanation
Hopefully someone else will give more information.

Last edited by a moderator:
In general relativity you need to be careful in formulating such thought experiments as "what if the sun suddenly moved", because conservation of energy and momentum are central to the theory and the sun cannot suddenly move or disappear. Also a star simply moving along in a straight line does not produce a wave.

An oscillating source such as a pair of stars orbiting about one another does cause gravitational waves, and they propagate outward at the speed of light.

Bill_K said:
In general relativity you need to be careful in formulating such thought experiments as "what if the sun suddenly moved", because conservation of energy and momentum are central to the theory and the sun cannot suddenly move or disappear. Also a star simply moving along in a straight line does not produce a wave.

An oscillating source such as a pair of stars orbiting about one another does cause gravitational waves, and they propagate outward at the speed of light.

As I understand gravitational waves are simply space-time waves. Given that then what exactly is inflation if space can expand in a manner such that two objects would appear to be moving apart from one another faster than light?

Related to What is the speed of gravitational waves?

What is the speed of gravitational waves?

The speed of gravitational waves is equal to the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. This was predicted by Albert Einstein in his theory of general relativity.

How is the speed of gravitational waves measured?

The speed of gravitational waves is measured using a variety of techniques, including laser interferometry, pulsar timing, and measurements of the cosmic microwave background. These methods have been used to confirm the speed of gravitational waves to be equal to the speed of light.

Are there any variations in the speed of gravitational waves?

According to general relativity, the speed of gravitational waves should not vary. However, some theories suggest that the speed of gravitational waves may be slightly different in the early universe or at extreme distances. More research is needed to confirm these theories.

How does the speed of gravitational waves compare to other types of waves?

The speed of gravitational waves is significantly faster than other types of waves, such as sound waves or water waves. However, it is equal to the speed of light, which is the fastest known speed in the universe.

What impact does the speed of gravitational waves have on the universe?

The speed of gravitational waves plays a crucial role in the universe, as it allows for the transmission of information and energy across vast distances. Gravitational waves are also responsible for phenomena such as black holes merging, which can have a significant impact on the structure of the universe.