Sequence of rationals that converge to irrational

In summary, there are a few ways to find a sequence of rational numbers that converges to the square root of 2, such as using Newton's binomial theorem or Newton's method. Another approach is to use the sequence of convergents from the continued fraction representation of sqrt(2). All of these methods result in a sequence that quickly converges to the square root of 2.
tonebone10
Find a sequence of rational numbers that converges to the square root of 2

Mathematics news on Phys.org
use Newton's binomial theorem? i.e. (1+1)^(1/2) = 1 + (1/2) + (1/2)(-1/2)(1/2) +

+ (1/2)(-1/2)(-3/2)(1/2)(1/3)+...

this might work.

Or another of Newton's tricks:

How do I approximate the positive root of [tex]x^2-2[/tex]?

[tex]x_1 = 1[/tex]

[tex]x_2 = x_1 - \frac{x_1^2 - 2}{2x_1}[/tex]

[tex]. \ . \ .[/tex]

[tex]x_n = x_{n-1} - \frac{x_{n-1}^2 - 2}{2x_{n-1}}[/tex]

[tex]. \ . \ .[/tex]

Obviously each term is rational and [tex]\{x_n\}[/tex] converges to [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex].

Last edited:
And converges quite quickly, I might add.

Do you mean giving a general formula?

If not, take the square root of 2 on a calculator:

So a sequence of rationals converging to square root of 2 is:
1, 1.4, 1.41, 1.414, 1.4142, 1.41421, 1.414213, 1.4142135, 1.41421356, etc.

the problem here is that a calculator has a bounded number of terms.

You could take the sequence of convergents of the continued fraction of sqrt(2).

[tex]\sqrt{2}=1+\frac{1}{2+\frac{1}{2+\frac{1}{2+\ldots}}}[/tex]

I think Data's use of Newton's Method is the best way to display the sequence that converges. Shmoe's definition of the square root of two is correct, but it isn't really written in a form that converges, although I'm sure shmoe could easily do that. I think good old Newton can help you best.

Jameson said:
Shmoe's definition of the square root of two is correct, but it isn't really written in a form that converges...

I'm not sure what you mean here. The notation I used is pretty standard, and the sequence of convergents does converge to [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex].

Maybe I should have defined what I meant by the convergents. I just mean the sequence begining

[tex]1,1+\frac{1}{2}, 1+\frac{1}{2+\frac{1}{2}}, 1+\frac{1}{2+\frac{1}{2+\frac{1}{2}}},\ldots[/tex]

Or do you want some proof that this continued fraction is actually [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]?

[tex]\sqrt{2}=1+(\sqrt{2}-1)=1+\frac{1}{1+\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

Then repeat:

[tex]\sqrt{2}=1+\frac{1}{2+\frac{1}{1+\sqrt{2}}}=1+\frac{1}{2+\frac{1}{2+\frac{1}{1+\sqrt{2}}}},\ldots[/tex]

In this way you can easily see [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] is larger than all the even convergents and smaller than all the odd convergents (calling the first term the 0th). If you believe that they convegre to something (this is pretty standard) then that something has to be [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]

Last edited:
I didn't see the "..." you had included. I just wanted to make sure it was understood that the sequence had to keep going in order to converge. It sounded worse than I meant it. I just liked the way Data wrote the convergence of Newton's Method, with "nth" notation. You are of course very correct with all you said... didn't mean to imply otherwise.

Oh I see :smile: The ... are quite small, I would have probably missed them if I didn't know I put it there.

1. What is a sequence of rationals that converges to an irrational number?

A sequence of rationals that converges to an irrational number is a sequence of rational numbers that approach an irrational number as its limit. This means that as the sequence progresses, the values of the rational numbers get increasingly closer to the irrational number, but never actually reach it.

2. Why are sequences of rationals that converge to an irrational number important?

Sequences of rationals that converge to an irrational number are important because they provide a way to approximate irrational numbers using rational numbers. This is useful in many mathematical and scientific applications, such as in numerical analysis and in calculating limits.

3. How are sequences of rationals that converge to an irrational number calculated?

Sequences of rationals that converge to an irrational number can be calculated using various methods, such as the Babylonian method or the continued fraction method. These methods involve finding successive rational approximations that get closer and closer to the desired irrational number.

4. Can a sequence of rationals that converges to an irrational number be infinite?

Yes, a sequence of rationals that converges to an irrational number can be infinite. In fact, most sequences of rationals that converge to an irrational number are infinite, as it is impossible for a finite number of rational numbers to exactly equal an irrational number.

5. What are some examples of sequences of rationals that converge to an irrational number?

One example is the sequence 3, 3.1, 3.14, 3.141, 3.1415, ... which converges to the irrational number π. Another example is the sequence 1, 1.4, 1.41, 1.414, 1.4142, ... which converges to the irrational number √2. There are infinitely many possible sequences for any given irrational number.