Exploring Rational and Irrational Numbers with Examples of Arithmetic Operations

In summary: I am still reading the chapters in the textbook. I will have to get a tutor or email the author himself.In summary, we discussed examples of irrational numbers a and b that yield rational and irrational results when used in the expressions a + b and a/b. These examples include pi and e for the sum of a + b, and sqrt{2} and 4pi for the quotient of a/b. We also explored the concept of using rational approximations for irrational numbers and how it affects the resulting rational or irrational answer. Finally, we discussed the potential use of complex numbers in this topic, which will be further explored in later chapters.
mathdad
Give an example of irrational numbers a and b such that the indicated expression is (a) rational; (b) irrational.

1. a + b

2. a/b

Must I replace a and b with numbers that create a rational and irrational number?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
RTCNTC said:
Give an example of irrational numbers a and b such that the indicated expression is (a) rational; (b) irrational.

1. a + b

2. a/b

Must I replace a and b with numbers that create a rational and irrational number?
Your "location" is given as "NYC" so this shouldn't be a language difficulty?! The problem says "give an example of irrational numbers a and b". So yes, you are to replace a and b with irrational numbers. Since you have 2 problems and there are two questions for each, four different answers are required. You must give four a, b pairs of rational numbers. No complicated formulas are required, just some fundamental thinking.

Question 1

a + b

Let a = pi, b = e

What about pi + e?

What about a = sqrt{2}, b = 4pi?

sqrt{2} + 4pi

- - - Updated - - -

Question 2

What about sqrt{3}/pi?

What about sqrt{2}/sqrt{3}?

RTCNTC said:
Question 1

a + b

Let a = pi, b = e

What about pi + e?

What about a = sqrt{2}, b = 4pi?

sqrt{2} + 4pi

Both of those sums would be irrational. (Yes)

Can you think of two irrational numbers whose sum is rational?

HallsofIvy said:
Your "location" is given as "NYC" so this shouldn't be a language difficulty?! The problem says "give an example of irrational numbers a and b". So yes, you are to replace a and b with irrational numbers. Since you have 2 problems and there are two questions for each, four different answers are required. You must give four a, b pairs of rational numbers. No complicated formulas are required, just some fundamental thinking.

What does location have to do with my understanding of math? Why bring up language? There are questions that simply do not make sense as written. Why turn this into a race issue?

Help me understand the textbook or skip my questions. Who cares where I am from? By the way, I live in NYC but was born outside the USA. Now, what does this have to do with math? I am a foreigner with two CUNY degrees (NYC). I also know people that never set foot in college with a poor English background who easily understand mathematics.

You can see that I struggling with questions that others easily understand. You should be encouraging people not putting them down bringing up location and language. My questions are all related to math not English composition and grammar. Also, if you are going to continue answering my questions, break the material down for me to understand. To reply as written in math textbooks is a waste of time.

MarkFL said:
Both of those sums would be irrational. (Yes)

Can you think of two irrational numbers whose sum is rational?

How about (10 + 2•sqrt{5}) and (5 - 2•sqrt{5})?

The sum of these two irrational numbers is

(10 + 2•sqrt{5}) + (5 - 2•sqrt{5}) =

10 + 5 which is 15 (a rational number). Yes?

Can you give me two other irrational numbers a/b that yield a rational answer?

RTCNTC said:
How about (10 + 2•sqrt{5}) and (5 - 2•sqrt{5})?

The sum of these two irrational numbers is

(10 + 2•sqrt{5}) + (5 - 2•sqrt{5}) =

10 + 5 which is 15 (a rational number). Yes?

Yes, any pair of irrational numbers of the form:

\(\displaystyle a=\mathbb{Q}_1\pm\mathbb{I}\)

\(\displaystyle b=\mathbb{Q}_2\mp\mathbb{I}\)

will work, since the irrational quantity $\mathbb{I}$ will disappear when added.

RTCNTC said:
Can you give me two other irrational numbers a/b that yield a rational answer?

What form would we need for the irrational part of the pair to be divided out?

For the record, we have to be a bit careful when adding irrational numbers. We cannot just conclude that the result will be irrational.
For instance it is not known whether pi + e is irrational or not. See here.
However, we can conclude that pi + pi = 2pi is irrational, since if it were not, dividing by 2 would prove that pi is rational, which is a contradiction.

MarkFL said:
Yes, any pair of irrational numbers of the form:

\(\displaystyle a=\mathbb{Q}_1\pm\mathbb{I}\)

\(\displaystyle b=\mathbb{Q}_2\mp\mathbb{I}\)

will work, since the irrational quantity $\mathbb{I}$ will disappear when added.
What form would we need for the irrational part of the pair to be divided out?

How about (4 + pi)/(4 - pi)?

RTCNTC said:
How about (4 + pi)/(4 - pi)?

Can that be rewritten as a rational number?

MarkFL said:
Can that be rewritten as a rational number?

If I let pi be about 3.1, the answer is 1.675, a rational number.

RTCNTC said:
If I let pi be about 3.1, the answer is 1.675, a rational number.

If you use a rational approximation for $\pi$, then you aren't actually using irrational numbers at all. :D

What about [2•sqrt{2}]/sqrt{2}?

This yields 2, a rational number.

RTCNTC said:
What about [2•sqrt{2}]/sqrt{2}?

This yields 2, a rational number.

Yes, any pair of the form:

\(\displaystyle a=\mathbb{Q_1}\mathbb{I}\)

\(\displaystyle b=\mathbb{Q_2}\mathbb{I}\)

will work. :D

Interesting question and topic. There is so much I don't know concerning the world of real numbers. Complex numbers is another interesting topic introduced in a later chapter by David Cohen in his fabulous Precalculus With Unit Circle Trigonometry 3rd Edition textbook. Most of my questions come from his book.

What is the difference between rational and irrational numbers?

Rational numbers are numbers that can be expressed as a fraction of two integers, while irrational numbers cannot be expressed as a fraction and have an infinite number of non-repeating decimals.

Are all whole numbers rational?

Yes, all whole numbers are rational because they can be expressed as a fraction with a denominator of 1.

Can irrational numbers be negative?

Yes, irrational numbers can be negative. Examples of negative irrational numbers include -√2 and -π.

How can you tell if a number is rational or irrational?

If a number can be expressed as a fraction, it is rational. If a number has an infinite number of non-repeating decimals, it is irrational.

What are some real-life examples of irrational numbers?

Some real-life examples of irrational numbers are π (pi), √2 (the square root of 2), and e (Euler's number). These numbers are used in mathematics and physics to represent values that cannot be expressed as a fraction.