Need to convert 110v to 220v from 110 v inverter

In summary, the speaker has received a 200w DC AC inverter from Black&Decker which operates on 110v. However, all of their appliances are rated at 220v-230v and they are having trouble finding a transformer to convert the voltage. They have found a 220v to 110v transformer, but are unsure if it can be used in reverse. They are considering rewiring the transformer to make it work.
saad ahmed khan
hello every one
i just got a dc ac inverter 200w at 110v from black&decker company
which my uncle sent me
problem is all appliances here are rated at 220v-230v
so i went to look for the transformer that could convert 110v to 220v
but all the shop keepers tell me that the only transformer they have is one that converts 220 v to 110 v for 110v appliances.
i find this a bit strange can't the transformer be used in reverse.
i know for a fact that if i give 12v ac to a 220v to 12v transformer from the 12v side i get 220 v ac output
i just wnt to make sure that the same can be donne with a 110v 220v transformer before i buy it
thanks to alll

Engineering news on Phys.org
The transformer itself will do the job in reverse, but it sounds like it is wired into a box with a 220 volt input plug and a 120 volt output socket. Maybe a qualified individual could wire it with a 120 volt plug and a 220 volt socket output.

Hi there, it is possible to convert 110v to 220v using a transformer, however, it is important to make sure that the transformer is designed for this specific purpose. The transformer you mentioned that converts 220v to 110v is not suitable for this task as it is designed to step down voltage, not step it up. You will need to find a transformer specifically designed to convert 110v to 220v. It is always best to double check with the manufacturer or an electrician to ensure that the transformer is compatible with your inverter and appliances. Good luck!

1. How do I convert 110v to 220v using a 110v inverter?

To convert 110v to 220v using a 110v inverter, you will need a step-up transformer. This transformer will increase the voltage from 110v to 220v, allowing you to use your 110v inverter with 220v appliances. Make sure to choose a transformer that is rated for the wattage and voltage you need.

2. Can I use a 110v inverter with 220v appliances without a transformer?

No, it is not safe to use a 110v inverter with 220v appliances without a transformer. The inverter is designed to convert DC power from a battery into AC power at a specific voltage, which in this case is 110v. Plugging in a 220v appliance without a transformer can cause damage to both the appliance and the inverter.

3. What are the risks of using a step-up transformer to convert 110v to 220v?

The main risk of using a step-up transformer is potential damage to your appliances if the transformer is not properly rated for the voltage and wattage. It is important to choose a transformer that can handle the power requirements of your appliances and ensure that it is properly grounded and connected.

4. Can I use a 110v inverter with 220v appliances while traveling internationally?

Yes, you can use a 110v inverter with 220v appliances while traveling internationally, as long as you have a step-up transformer that is compatible with the voltage and wattage of the country you are visiting. However, it is always recommended to check the voltage requirements of your appliances and consult with a local electrician before using any electrical devices in a foreign country.

5. Are there any alternatives to using a step-up transformer to convert 110v to 220v?

Yes, there are alternatives to using a step-up transformer. Some appliances, such as laptops and cell phones, have built-in converters that can handle different voltages. Additionally, you can purchase a dual-voltage inverter that can switch between 110v and 220v. However, these alternatives may not be suitable for all appliances and it is important to check their compatibility before use.