Funded masters (on the way to phd) ?

• Programs
  • Thread starter mxbob468
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Masters Phd
In summary, the person is considering getting a master's degree to improve their research experience before pursuing a PhD. They are unsure if it's better to do a thesis or non-thesis program and if funding is common. The expert advises to do a thesis and mentions that funding is possible but not guaranteed. They also suggest considering a master's in a related field instead of the same field as the intended PhD. The expert also addresses concerns about using the master's program as a "bridge" to a PhD and assures that it is not seen as cheating by the institution.
mxbob468
i'm committed to getting a phd but my undergrad career is lackluster (~3.7 gpa, pure math major physics minor, no research experience, peace corps math teacher, yet to take either gre) so i was thinking about getting a masters and doing research while completing the masters. i know people have said that this doesn't impress anyone and if it were common more students in top grad programs would come in with masters degrees. but 1 I'm doing the masters to shore up a research deficit not grade deficit (this speaks to the notion that grade inflation in grad school is common) 2 my question isn't where it's a good idea.

the questions: should one do the masters with thesis or sans thesis? is it common to have them funded (maybe by TA ship?)

haven't decided physics or math but leaning physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
The thesis is the research project; do a masters without research and you're not getting anything out of it. But you can probably still get into some decent programs for a PhD, and you can transfer after earning the masters if you still want to - and get it all paid for. Terminal masters programs are unlikely to fund you or have the same level of research available as a PhD program would.

eri said:
The thesis is the research project; do a masters without research and you're not getting anything out of it. But you can probably still get into some decent programs for a PhD, and you can transfer after earning the masters if you still want to - and get it all paid for. Terminal masters programs are unlikely to fund you or have the same level of research available as a PhD program would.

isn't that cheating (the institution)?

You should do an MS with thesis. The experience you get will be useful to employment... as well as enhance future possible PhD applications.

The programs are not likely to always fund you... but it's possible. Some institutions with smaller graduate programs may find you useful for TAing or grading, and sometimes, if the program has links to a national or military lab, your research could possibly occur there (and be funded).

I can't advise you one field over another, but as for using the program as a "bridge" to a PhD... it might look more "complementary" instead to have the degree in a related field rather than the identical field. I did enter a fairly well ranked institution (and especially high ranked in my field of interest) with actually TWO terminal master's degrees... but NOT in the exact same degree 'line' so too speak. My masters degrees are in engineering and education... while my PhD is in Physics. I don't know if the school would have looked at my application as favorably if I'd had just an MS in Physics. That would clearly show I was using my MS as a bridge --I'd be likely taking classes I'd likely repeat in the new program rather than building new strengths to bring with me to the new program. I'm just not sure how they'd look at that.

It's not uncommon for people to drop out or transfer out of a PhD program, so no, it's not seen as cheating the school. After all, they'll probably be paying you to teach your first few years, and you taught for them - they got their money's worth. They're not going to ask you to pay it back. Just don't make it very clear you plan to do this. And hey, maybe you'll like it there and decide to stay anyway. Or you can fail the quals and have them kick you out instead (that won't keep you from transferring).

Related to Funded masters (on the way to phd) ?

1. What is a funded master's program?

A funded master's program is a graduate degree program where the student's tuition and living expenses are covered by a scholarship or stipend. This allows students to focus on their studies without worrying about financial burden.

2. How do I qualify for a funded master's program?

Qualifications for funded master's programs vary, but typically students must have a strong academic record and demonstrate research potential. Some programs may also require students to have relevant work experience or submit a research proposal.

3. What are the benefits of a funded master's program?

The main benefit of a funded master's program is the financial support provided, which allows students to focus on their studies and research without worrying about finances. Additionally, these programs often provide opportunities for students to work closely with faculty and gain valuable research experience.

4. Can I still get a funded master's degree if I am not a citizen of the country where the program is located?

Yes, many funded master's programs welcome international students. However, it is important to thoroughly research the program's eligibility requirements and any potential visa or funding restrictions for international students.

5. Will completing a funded master's program guarantee admission to a PhD program?

While completing a funded master's program can enhance a student's application to a PhD program, it does not guarantee admission. Admission to PhD programs often depends on a variety of factors, including research experience, letters of recommendation, and fit with a specific program or advisor.