Can You Solve These Linear Equations for Variables a and w0?

• Thread starter manal950
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involved solving two equations to find the values of a and w0. The participant suggested using Gaussian Elimination to solve the equations and provided a solution of a=1.1.
manal950
Hi all ..

How I can solve this two equations to get a and w0 ... ?
12 .5 = W0 + 10a ====== 1
20 = 10W0 + 5a ======= 2

--------------
this my trying ...
first I will multiply first equation with (-10) to remove the W0 then I will add both ..
-125 = -10W0 - 100 a
20 = 10W0 + 5a
--------------
-105 = -95 a
a = 1.1

is that correct ... ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Either you can isolate a in one of them and insert a in the other to isolate W0.
Or you could substract 2 times the equation below from the above yielding:
[itex] 12.5-40 = W_0 - 20W_0 +10a -10a [/itex]
Then a should be easy(insert W0)

Correct. Called Gaussian Elimination.

Last edited:
thanks so much ..

I would suggest approaching this problem using the elimination method. This involves manipulating the equations to eliminate one variable and then solving for the other.

For example, in equation 1, we can subtract 10a from both sides to get:
12.5 - 10a = W0

We can then substitute this expression for W0 into equation 2:
20 = 10(12.5 - 10a) + 5a

Simplifying, we get:
20 = 125 - 95a

Solving for a, we get:
a = 1.1

We can then substitute this value back into either equation to solve for W0.

Using this method, we can find the values of a and W0 without having to multiply or add the equations. This approach may be more efficient and accurate.

However, your method also appears to be correct. It is always important to double check your calculations and make sure that your solution satisfies both equations. Great job on solving the equations!

Related to Can You Solve These Linear Equations for Variables a and w0?

1. How do I solve a system of two equations?

Solving a system of two equations involves finding the values of the variables that satisfy both equations simultaneously. This can be done using various methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing.

2. Can I use the same method to solve any system of two equations?

No, the method you use to solve a system of equations depends on the type of equations you have. For example, if both equations are linear, you can use substitution or elimination, but if one is linear and the other is quadratic, you may need to use the quadratic formula.

3. What is the importance of solving a system of two equations?

Solving a system of equations allows you to find the exact solution for a problem that involves two variables. This can be useful in many real-life situations, such as finding the intersection point of two lines or determining the optimal solution for a system of linear equations.

4. Is there a shortcut or trick to solving a system of two equations quickly?

While there are some techniques that can help you solve certain types of equations faster, there is no universal shortcut for solving all systems of two equations. It is important to understand the basic principles and methods for solving equations to tackle any problem effectively.

5. What should I do if I can't solve a system of two equations?

If you are unable to solve a system of equations, you can try checking your work or using a different method. If you still can't find a solution, it may be helpful to seek assistance from a teacher, tutor, or online resources to guide you through the process.