Does any linear unitary operator stand for a symmetry transformation?

In summary, Wigner proved that a symmetry is represented by either a linear unitary operator or an anti-linear anti-unitary operator, where a symmetry in the physical sense must also preserve the Hamiltonian. This means that any linear unitary operator can stand for a symmetry transformation as long as it satisfies the requirements for preserving the Hamiltonian. However, this result may seem too strong, as there are infinite linear unitary operators and it is not clear if there are also infinite symmetries.
wangyi
Hi, i am confused on this question: Wigner proved that a symmetry is represented by either a linear unitary operator or an anti-linear anti-unitary operator. But does it's inverse right? i.e.
Does any linear unitary operator stand for a symmetry transformation?

It seems to be right, as a unitary operator does not change the inner product of two states, and it holds as time flowing.

But this result is too strong to believe, because there are infinity number of linear unitary operators, are there also so many symmetry?

Best wishes.
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
** Hi, i am confused on this question: Wigner proved that a symmetry is represented by either a linear unitary operator or an anti-linear anti-unitary operator. **

Hi some authors DEFINE a symmetry simply as a unitary or anti unitary operator, see e.g. arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9607051. However the more common point of view is that a symmetry is a unitary or anti-unitary operator that commutes with the quantum Hamiltonian. I do not remember precisely how Wigner has shown this, but I guess that the logical way to do this would be to start from a classical Hamiltonian system with a continuous symmetry and notice that an infinitesimal symmetry transformation corresponds to the Poisson derivation with respect to the Noether current (which is conserved on shell). Next, one should apply the Dirac quantization rule and exponentiate the corresponding expression which gives the unitary operation. However, this does not explain why discrete symmetry groups should have a unitary or anti-unitary representation: the motivation here probably is that the modulus of the scalar product should be a preserved quantity, something which is an *ad hoc* restriction on the representation of the Weyl algebra AFAIK (however this introduces a nonlinear phase factor and does not relate in any obvious way to the classical theory). However, computation of some examples shows that the latter requirement makes sense. For example it is easy to show that finite spatial symmetry groups (like finite rotation groups) are unitarily represented in the *standard* Schroedinger picture.

Hope to have answered your question.

Cheers,

Careful

Thank you! I think now I am clear. The article you suggested is of great help. In that article, the author does not simply define all symmetry as linear unitary operator, but treat mathematical and physical symmetry differently. A symmetry of any physical sense need to preserve Hamiltonian.

1. What is a linear unitary operator?

A linear unitary operator is a mathematical operator that preserves the length of vectors and satisfies the unitary condition, which means it preserves the inner product between vectors.

2. What does it mean for a linear unitary operator to stand for a symmetry transformation?

A linear unitary operator stands for a symmetry transformation when it represents a transformation that preserves the symmetry of a system or object. This means that the properties of the system or object remain unchanged after the transformation is applied.

3. How do linear unitary operators relate to quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, linear unitary operators play a crucial role in describing the evolution of quantum states. They are used to represent transformations on the state space, which correspond to physical processes such as measurements or time evolution.

4. What are some examples of linear unitary operators?

Some examples of linear unitary operators include rotation matrices, reflection matrices, and translation matrices. In quantum mechanics, the most common example is the unitary operator representing time evolution, also known as the Schrödinger equation.

5. How do you determine if a linear unitary operator stands for a symmetry transformation?

To determine if a linear unitary operator stands for a symmetry transformation, you can apply the operator to the system or object and observe if its properties remain unchanged. If the properties are preserved, then the operator represents a symmetry transformation. Additionally, the operator must satisfy the unitary condition to be considered a linear unitary operator.