Magnetic Flux: Exploring What it Means and Its Units

In summary: The total number of lines of force issuing from a magnet pole is called its magnetic flux. The magnetic flux, phi, of a magnet pole of strength m is, phi = 4*pi*m. This means that the flux is the total number of lines of force coming out of the magnet. The magnetic flux, phi, of a magnet pole of strength m is, phi = 4*pi*m. This means that the flux is the total number of lines of force coming out of the magnet. If a magnetic pole existed, the equations for a pole of strength m would by much like those for a charge q.
ascky
I started reading Lectures on Electrical Engineering Vol I, Steinmetz. I thought I should be able to understand most of it, but I don't get the first page! It says that: 'The total number of lines of force issuing from a magnet pole is called its magnetic flux. The magnetic flux, phi, of a magnet pole of strength m is, phi = 4*pi*m '.

What does this mean, and what are the units of m? I thought that because the magnetic lines always formed closed circuits that the flux through a closed surface around a magnetic pole should be zero. I'd really appreciate it if someone could explain this to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
ascky said:
I started reading Lectures on Electrical Engineering Vol I, Steinmetz. I thought I should be able to understand most of it, but I don't get the first page! It says that: 'The total number of lines of force issuing from a magnet pole is called its magnetic flux. The magnetic flux, phi, of a magnet pole of strength m is, phi = 4*pi*m '.

What does this mean, and what are the units of m? I thought that because the magnetic lines always formed closed circuits that the flux through a closed surface around a magnetic pole should be zero. I'd really appreciate it if someone could explain this to me.
If a magnetic pole existed, the equations for a pole of strength m would by much like those for a charge q.
1. "Magnetic flux" here means [tex]\oint{\bf B\cdot dS}[/tex].
2. Just like Gauss's law, [tex]\oint{\bf B\cdot dS}=4\pi m[/tex],
in Gaussian units.
3. In Gaussian units, the units of m would be gauss-cm^2.
In SI units, I think it would be Webers (Whoever he was).
3. "I thought that because the magnetic lines always formed closed circuits...". That is only in the absence of a magnetic monopole.
With magpoles, magnetostatics becomes just like electrostatics.
I suspect your text is using one end of a long bar magnet as an abstraction for a magnetic pole, and not including the B inside the magnet
in finding the flux of 4\pi m.

Yes, it seems that this book starts off really badly...

1. What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the total magnetic field passing through a given area. It is a scalar quantity, meaning it has magnitude but no specific direction.

2. How is magnetic flux measured?

Magnetic flux is measured in units of webers (Wb), which are equivalent to volts multiplied by seconds (V*s).

3. How is magnetic flux related to magnetic field strength?

Magnetic flux is directly proportional to magnetic field strength. This means that as the magnetic field strength increases, so does the magnetic flux passing through a given area.

4. What factors affect magnetic flux?

The amount of magnetic field strength, the size and shape of the area, and the orientation of the magnetic field all affect the amount of magnetic flux passing through a given area.

5. Why is magnetic flux important?

Magnetic flux is important in understanding and predicting the behavior of magnetic fields, which have many practical applications in technology, such as in motors and generators.