Pascal's Triangle and Binomial Theorem

In summary, the coefficient of x^4y^9 in the expansion of (3x + y)^13 can be found using the Binomial Theorem and the n row of Pascal's triangle, where n = 13. It can be calculated as 34 * C(13,9) = 34 * 715 = 57,915. This approach takes into account the relationship between the coefficients and exponents in the formula.
SurferStrobe
1. Evaluate the numbers for the coefficient of x4y9 in the expansion of (3x + y)13.

2. The Binomial Theorem states that for every positive integer n,
(x + y)n = C(n,0)xn + C(n,1)xn-1y + ... + C(n,n-1)xyn-1 + C(n,n)yn.

3. I understand that the coefficients can be found from the n row of Pascal's triangle, where n = 13. Using the binomial theorem, my approach (which I'm not sure about) is:

The coefficient is 3 * C(13,9) = 3 * 715 = 2145.

Am I going about this correctly? Sorry if I didn't expand on the proof.

surferstrobe

Physics news on Phys.org
This is the 5th term from the end (if you start from x^13 then diminish x's power), so is C(13,9) consistent with the formula?

And, you should have 34.

Last edited:
I was just going to say, I forgot the exponent of x, so should be 34 * C(13,9).

I used the exponent of y for the combination term, because I knew that

C(13,9) = C(13,13-9) = C(13,4).

Therefore,

34 * C(13,9) = 81 * 715 = 57,915.

Is this better?

SurferStrobe said:
I was just going to say, I forgot the exponent of x, so should be 34 * C(13,9).

I used the exponent of y for the combination term, because I knew that

C(13,9) = C(13,13-9) = C(13,4).

Therefore,

34 * C(13,9) = 81 * 715 = 57,915.

Is this better?
In the formula x^k is associated with C(n,k-1) isn't it?

EnumaElish,

Thank you for helping me to better understand the relationships between the coefficients, exponents, and expressions in this area of discrete mathemetics!

surferstrobe

1. What is Pascal's Triangle?

Pascal's Triangle is a triangular arrangement of numbers, where each number is the sum of the two numbers directly above it. It is named after French mathematician Blaise Pascal, who discovered it in the 17th century.

2. What is the purpose of Pascal's Triangle?

Pascal's Triangle is used to find the coefficients of binomial expansions, to solve probability problems, and to find patterns in numbers and geometry. It also has applications in fields such as computer science and genetics.

3. What is the Binomial Theorem?

The Binomial Theorem is a mathematical formula that describes the expansion of powers of binomials (expressions with two terms) raised to any positive integer power. It is closely related to Pascal's Triangle and is used to expand and simplify expressions involving binomials.

4. How is Pascal's Triangle used to find coefficients?

Pascal's Triangle is used to find the coefficients of binomial expansions by looking at the corresponding row and column. For example, to find the coefficient of x^2 in the expansion of (x+1)^5, we would look at the 5th row and the 2nd column of Pascal's Triangle, which gives us the coefficient of 10.

5. What are some real-world applications of Pascal's Triangle and the Binomial Theorem?

Pascal's Triangle and the Binomial Theorem have various applications in fields such as statistics, finance, and physics. They can be used to solve probability problems, make accurate predictions, and model complex systems. They are also used in computer science for tasks such as data compression and error correction.