PDF's: Binomial Formula or Pascal's Formula

In summary: So you want$$\sum_{x=0}^{30} \binom{50}{x} 0.12^x (0.88)^{50-x}$$which is not all that difficult to do using a spreadsheet or calculator (doing it by hand would be a bit tedious). However, it's also not too hard to use the fact that ##X \sim B(50, 0.12)## to compute the answer using a normal approximation. You'll have to make some continuity corrections, but you'll be left with something like$$\Phi \left( \frac{30.5 - 50 \cdot 0.12}{\sqrt{50 \cdot 0
whitejac

Homework Statement

50 students live in a dormitory. The parking lot has the capacity for 30 cars. If each student has a car with probability 12 (independently from other students), what is the probability that there won't be enough parking spaces for all the cars?

Homework Equations

P(A) = P(B)P(C)
Binomial: C(n k) Pk(1-p)n-k
Pascal's: C(k-1 m-1) Pm(1-p)k-m

3. The Attempt at a Solution

So the difference is in the coefficient, clearly, and I'm wondering which one to use in this circumstance. The first time i did it, I chose the Binomial because it looks like a classic "What's the probability of this many trials having successes"? type of thing, but what if you defined the problem as "what's the probability of taking 49 trials, and getting 29 successes (kids having cars for the parking lot) and then on the 50th receiving a pass. I chose 29 successes because we are tasked to find the chance of having enough spaces, not more. The difference may be negligible when you do the factorials. After all, the middle numbers will all be the same, just the ones on the ends will be slightly altered, but I really do not see the difference in use between these two formulas. It sounds like two mathematical perspectives of the same thing.

Physics news on Phys.org
"Probability 12"? Did you mean 0.12? In any case, yes this is a basic binomial probability problem but your numbers are a little off. The problem is not about "29 successes in 49 trials" but rather the probability of less than or equal to 30 successes in 50 trials. I think 50 trials is large enough that you can use the normal distribution approximation.

whitejac said:

Homework Statement

50 students live in a dormitory. The parking lot has the capacity for 30 cars. If each student has a car with probability 12 (independently from other students), what is the probability that there won't be enough parking spaces for all the cars?

Homework Equations

P(A) = P(B)P(C)
Binomial: C(n k) Pk(1-p)n-k
Pascal's: C(k-1 m-1) Pm(1-p)k-m

3. The Attempt at a Solution

So the difference is in the coefficient, clearly, and I'm wondering which one to use in this circumstance. The first time i did it, I chose the Binomial because it looks like a classic "What's the probability of this many trials having successes"? type of thing, but what if you defined the problem as "what's the probability of taking 49 trials, and getting 29 successes (kids having cars for the parking lot) and then on the 50th receiving a pass. I chose 29 successes because we are tasked to find the chance of having enough spaces, not more. The difference may be negligible when you do the factorials. After all, the middle numbers will all be the same, just the ones on the ends will be slightly altered, but I really do not see the difference in use between these two formulas. It sounds like two mathematical perspectives of the same thing.

No, they are not even remotely the same. The Pascal (usually called the "negative binomial" nowadays) is the pmf of the trial number on which a certain number of successes first occurs in a sequence of Bernoulli trials. So ##C(49,29) (.12)^{29} (.88)^{20}## is the probability that Student 49 is the first one to occupy the parking space 29. That is not the same as asking for the probability that the first 49 students occupy no more than 29 spaces; can you see why they are different? (In fact, though, even that latter probability is not really relevant to the problem.)

This problem needs the binomial distribution, and you want ##P(X \leq 30)## for ##X## a binomial random variable with parameters ##n = 50, p = 0.12## (assuming your "12" was meant to be 0.12).

Ohhh, okay. I think I understand now. My book portrayed it as "if you flip a coin and you want to see how many flips you can make before you land a success." So, I wondered why I couldn't equally represent this problem like this: You want to know how many students don't have a car before someone does - that someone being the 30th person. if the person who began having a car was identified after we'd already established the parking spaces were sufficient then it wouldn't matter. I can see now how that would be a little different. We are limiting ourselves to just one possibility of the possible probabilities to distinguish 30 people getting cars. Binomial Formula was my first guess - where
n = 50
k = 30
For we wish to know the possibility of 30 people receiving cars and 20 not receiving cars.

Also, I apologize for the confusion about the twelve. That was a copy-and-pasting error. P = 1/2 = q but the actual values weren't really my confusion.

(More formally) The way I view it is... if we're tasked to find the probability that the parking lot will be big enough for the 30 kids with cars, then we could say:
PX = probability of x kids getting cars
PX(x) = { C(50 x) px(1-p)50 - x for x = 0,1,2,3,4,... 50
0 otherwise }

And, in this case, PX(x ≤ 30) which would be the sum of PX(x) for x = 1,2,3...30.

whitejac said:
(More formally) The way I view it is... if we're tasked to find the probability that the parking lot will be big enough for the 30 kids with cars, then we could say:
PX = probability of x kids getting cars
PX(x) = { C(50 x) px(1-p)50 - x for x = 0,1,2,3,4,... 50
0 otherwise }

And, in this case, PX(x ≤ 30) which would be the sum of PX(x) for x = 1,2,3...30.
Actually, you need to include the term for x = 0, but it will be small.

1. What is the difference between Binomial Formula and Pascal's Formula?

The Binomial Formula is used to expand a binomial expression raised to any power, while Pascal's Formula is used to calculate the coefficients of a binomial expansion. In other words, the Binomial Formula is used to find the expanded form of a binomial expression, while Pascal's Formula is used to find the numerical values of the terms in the expanded form.

2. How do you use the Binomial Formula to expand a binomial expression?

To use the Binomial Formula, you first need to determine the values of n and k in the expression (x + y)^n. Then, plug those values into the formula (n choose k) * x^(n-k) * y^k, where (n choose k) is the combination formula n! / (k! * (n-k)!). Finally, simplify the expression to get the expanded form.

3. Can you provide an example of using Pascal's Formula?

Yes, for example, if you want to find the coefficients of the expanded form of (x + y)^4, you would use Pascal's Formula as follows: (4 choose 0) * x^4 * y^0 = 1 * x^4 * 1 = x^4 for the first term, (4 choose 1) * x^3 * y^1 = 4 * x^3 * y for the second term, and so on until you reach the last term (4 choose 4) * x^0 * y^4 = 1 * 1 * y^4 = y^4. Therefore, the expanded form of (x + y)^4 is x^4 + 4x^3y + 6x^2y^2 + 4xy^3 + y^4.

4. What are the practical applications of Binomial Formula and Pascal's Formula?

The Binomial Formula and Pascal's Formula are commonly used in probability and statistics to calculate the probabilities of certain outcomes in binomial experiments. They are also used in engineering and physics to solve problems involving binomial expansions and coefficients. Additionally, they have applications in computer science and finance, such as in option pricing and risk management.

5. Is it possible to use both formulas together?

Yes, it is possible to use both the Binomial Formula and Pascal's Formula together, as they serve different purposes in expanding a binomial expression. First, you would use Pascal's Formula to determine the coefficients of the expanded form, and then use the Binomial Formula to calculate the values of each term. This can be helpful in solving more complex problems involving binomial expansions.