Kinetic energy of compound rotational objects

In summary, the conversation is about building a ferris wheel out of three parts and finding the kinetic energy and moment of inertia for each part. The formula used is Iw^2 (moment of inertia multiplied by angular velocity squared) and it is important to find the moment of inertia for each part separately and add them up. The angular velocity is the same everywhere on the object and the formula for rotational energy is 1/2Iw^2. The last question is about finding the mechanical energy efficiency of the ferris wheel and converting kinetic energy into watts, but it is concluded that there is no mechanical energy efficiency for this type of system.
Pantherezz
I have built a ferris wheel out of three parts, a tambourine ring, the cover that came with the tambourine, and a wooden shaft on the other side. I know that to find the kinetic energy would be Iw^2 but I don't really understand how to input the data into the equation.

I know I need to find each individual pieces' moment of inertia, using (0.5)mr^2, (0.5)m(r1^2 +r2^2). I don't know how to find the shaft's moment of inertia though...

And for the angular velocity, do you need to find each pieces separate angular velocity and add them together or do you just need it once because they would all be the same...?

See, I tried finding the answer using just the moment of inertia of the ring and the thin disk (cover) but I got a very very small number...

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the moment of inertia for each part seperately, through the same axis (!) and add them up.
The angular velocity is the same everywhere on the object (as long as everything is fixed and cannot move relative to each other).

Also, the rotational energy is [tex]\frac{1}{2}I \omega^2[/tex].

thank you!

Last question... I think.
How do you find the mechanical energy efficiency of the whole thing? I'm a little confused as to how to convert the kinetic energy the wheel has into watts. I don't know what the time would be, because essentially the energy is constant.
I know the end result is that there is no mechanical energy efficiency but I don't know how to find the time so as to prove that there is no energy efficiency...

1. What is kinetic energy of compound rotational objects?

Kinetic energy of compound rotational objects is the energy that an object possesses due to its rotational motion. It is the sum of the kinetic energy of each individual component of the object.

2. How is the kinetic energy of compound rotational objects calculated?

The kinetic energy of compound rotational objects can be calculated by using the formula 1/2 * I * ω^2, where I is the moment of inertia of the object and ω is the angular velocity.

3. What factors affect the kinetic energy of compound rotational objects?

The kinetic energy of compound rotational objects is affected by the mass, shape, and angular velocity of the object. Objects with larger mass and higher angular velocity will have a greater kinetic energy.

4. Is kinetic energy of compound rotational objects conserved?

Yes, the law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. Therefore, the kinetic energy of compound rotational objects will remain constant as long as there are no external forces acting on the object.

5. What are some real-life examples of compound rotational objects with kinetic energy?

Some examples of compound rotational objects with kinetic energy include a spinning top, a bicycle wheel in motion, a swinging pendulum, and a revolving ceiling fan.