How do I solve for t using the Laws of Logs in this algebraic equation?

In summary: Thanks for the correction. :)In summary, there is no value of t that satisfies the equation \frac{1}{4}=te^{-8t} and this can be proven using simple calculus. However, complex solutions do exist and can be expressed using the Lambert W function. One possible solution is t = -W(-2)/8.
CentreShifter
I need to solve for t and it's slipped my mind how to manipulate this.

[tex]\frac{1}{4}=te^{-8t}[/tex]

to

[tex]ln(1/4)=lnt-8t[/tex]

I understand the laws of logs (I think), but I still can't seem to isolate the t.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, you could also prove that there isn't any value of t that satifies that equation. It's pretty simple using derivatives . . .

Proof: Consider the function f defined such that f(t) = exp(8t) - 4t. Clearly, if for some value t0 we have that f(t0) = 0 then 4-1 = t0exp(-8t0). Now, we need only prove that there is no value t0 with this property.

From the definition of f(t) we certainly have that f '(t) = 8exp(8t) - 4. Since f '(t) is defined for all real numbers, the only critical points can occur when f '(t0) = 8exp(8t0) - 4 = 0 => t0 = - ln(2)/8. Since f '(t) < f '(t0 for t < t0 and f '(t) > f '(t0 for t > t0, we know that f(t0) is an absolute minimum. However, because f(- ln(2)/8) = 2-1(1 + ln(2)) > 0, there is no value t0 such that 4-1 = t0exp(-8t0). Q.E.D.

CentreShifter said:
I need to solve for t and it's slipped my mind how to manipulate this.

[tex]\frac{1}{4}=te^{-8t}[/tex]

to

[tex]ln(1/4)=lnt-8t[/tex]

I understand the laws of logs (I think), but I still can't seem to isolate the t.

I think I can express the derivative in terms of the inverse function in terms of itself f(y)=t

[tex]f(te^{-8t})=t[/tex]

Differentiating both sides:

[tex]f'(te^{-8t})\left(e^{-8t}-8te^{-8t}\right)=1[/tex]

[tex]f'(te^{-8t})=\frac{1}{e^{-8t}-8te^{-8t}}[/tex]

[tex]f'(y)=\frac{1}{\frac{1}{f(y)}y-8y}[/tex]

Which might have some potential for numeric algorithms or evaluating the power series.

Lets try a big more. At the point you are are interested in y=1/4

[tex]f'(1/4)=\frac{1}{\frac{1}{t}(1/4)-8(1/4)}[/tex]

[tex]f'(1/4)=\frac{1}{\frac{1}{t}(1/4)-2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{t}(1/4)-2=\frac{1}{f'(1/4)}[/tex]

[tex]t=\frac{1}{4}\frac{1}{\frac{1}{f'(1/4)}+2}[/tex]

Not sure if this helps at all.

Last edited:
jgens said:
Well, you could also prove that there isn't any value of t that satifies that equation. It's pretty simple using derivatives . . .

Proof: Consider the function f defined such that f(t) = exp(8t) - 4t. Clearly, if for some value t0 we have that f(t0) = 0 then 4-1 = t0exp(-8t0). Now, we need only prove that there is no value t0 with this property.

From the definition of f(t) we certainly have that f '(t) = 8exp(8t) - 4. Since f '(t) is defined for all real numbers, the only critical points can occur when f '(t0) = 8exp(8t0) - 4 = 0 => t0 = - ln(2)/8. Since f '(t) < f '(t0 for t < t0 and f '(t) > f '(t0 for t > t0, we know that f(t0) is an absolute minimum. However, because f(- ln(2)/8) = 2-1(1 + ln(2)) > 0, there is no value t0 such that 4-1 = t0exp(-8t0). Q.E.D.

That's somewhat hard to read, I'm not sure what exactly you did.

I was thinking of something like : f'(x) = 0 at x=1/8 only , f''( 1/8) < 0, hence f( 1/8) is a max. Evaluating, it is clearly less than 1/4.

Well, here's a revised edition of the proof. I'm new to LaTeX so it doesn't look very neat . . .

Statement: [tex](\forall t)(t \in \mathbb {R})\left (\frac{t}{e^{8t}} \neq \frac{1}{4} \right )[/tex]

Proof: Consider the function [tex]f[/tex] defined such that [tex]f(t) = e^{8t} - 4t[/tex]. From the definition of [tex]f[/tex], if for some [tex]t = t_{0}[/tex] we have that [tex]f(t_{0}) = 0[/tex], then

[tex]\frac{t_{0}}{e^{8t_{0}}} = \frac{1}{4}[/tex]​

Now, consider the first derivative of [tex]f[/tex] so that [tex]f '(t) = 8e^{8t} - 4[/tex]. Since [tex]f '[/tex] is defined [tex]\forall t \in \mathbb {R}[/tex], the only critical points can occur when [tex]f '(t_{0}) = 0[/tex]. Solving for the critical points, we find that [tex]e^{8t_{0}} = 1/2[/tex]. Since [tex]e^{8t} > 0[/tex], we don't lose any solutions when taking the logarithm base [tex]e[/tex] of the previous functions, therefore [tex]t_{0} = - ln(2)/8[/tex]. Using a similar method, we can show that [tex]f '(t) < 0[/tex] if [tex]t < t_0[/tex] and similarly [tex]f '(t) > 0[/tex] if [tex]t > t_0[/tex]. This proves that [tex]f(t_0)[/tex] is an absolute minimum. However,

[tex]f(t_0) = e^{-ln(2)} + \frac{ln(2)}{2} = \frac{1}{2} + \frac{ln(2)}{2} = \frac{1}{2}(1 + ln(2)) > 0[/tex]​

which proves that there is no value of [tex]t[/tex] such that [tex]f(t) = 0[/tex].

So, I don't think that there's any need to invoke the lambert W function or power series, just really simple calculus. :)

Complex solutions exist. The formula is not elementary, but can be written using the Lambert W function. t = -W(-2)/8 . One value is about -0.02160200035 - 0.2092108018 i

jgens said:
Proof: Consider the function [tex]f[/tex] defined such that [tex]f(t) = e^{8t} - 4t[/tex].

It should be [tex]f(t) = e^{-8t} - 4t[/tex]. which pretty much invalidates the rest of your post.

g_edgar said:
Complex solutions exist. The formula is not elementary, but can be written using the Lambert W function. t = -W(-2)/8 . One value is about -0.02160200035 - 0.2092108018 i

Cool, thanks. :) I worked this out on wikipedia and got the same thing.

1. What are the basic laws of logarithms?

The basic laws of logarithms are the product rule, quotient rule, and power rule. The product rule states that the logarithm of a product is equal to the sum of the logarithms of the individual factors. The quotient rule states that the logarithm of a quotient is equal to the difference of the logarithms of the numerator and denominator. The power rule states that the logarithm of a number raised to a power is equal to the product of the power and the logarithm of the number.

2. How do you simplify logarithmic expressions using the laws of logs?

To simplify logarithmic expressions, you can use the laws of logs to rewrite the expression in a simpler form. For example, if you have an expression with multiple logarithms added or subtracted, you can use the product and quotient rules to combine them into a single logarithm. If you have a logarithm raised to a power, you can use the power rule to bring the power outside of the logarithm. This process can be repeated until the expression is simplified as much as possible.

3. What is the difference between natural logarithms and common logarithms?

The difference between natural logarithms and common logarithms is the base of the logarithm. Natural logarithms, or ln, have a base of e, which is approximately equal to 2.71828. Common logarithms, or log, have a base of 10. This means that the logarithm of a number in natural logarithms will be different from the logarithm of the same number in common logarithms.

4. How do you solve equations involving logarithms?

To solve equations involving logarithms, you can use the laws of logs to rewrite the equation in a simpler form. Once the equation is simplified, you can then solve for the variable using algebraic methods. It is important to check your solution to ensure that it satisfies the original equation, as some solutions may not be valid for the given logarithmic expression.

5. Can logarithms be negative?

Yes, logarithms can be negative. In fact, the logarithm of any number between 0 and 1 will be negative. This is because logarithms are used to find the exponent that a base must be raised to in order to get a certain number. Since a number between 0 and 1 will have a negative exponent, the logarithm will be negative. However, the base of the logarithm must always be positive.