Struggling with a Limit: Help Appreciated!

• Thread starter student111
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the person is having trouble finding the limit of 1/(ix)*(exp(imx) - 1 ) as x approaches 0. They have tried expanding the exponential and using L'Hopital's rule, but have not been successful. They are seeking help and have realized their mistake in using L'Hopital's rule.
student111
I can't get the following limit to work:

lim(X->0) 1/(ix)*(exp(imx) - 1 ) = m

I'm sorry for the poor notation. I tried expanding the exponential, and L'hopitals rule and combinations of these approaches, but i can't get it to work out. Any help is much appreciated!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
student111 said:
I can't get the following limit to work:

lim(X->0) 1/(ix)*(exp(imx) - 1 ) = m

I'm sorry for the poor notation. I tried expanding the exponential, and L'hopitals rule and combinations of these approaches, but i can't get it to work out. Any help is much appreciated!

I assume you mean [itex]\lim_{x\fo 0}\frac{e^{imx}- 1}{ix}[/itex]. I can see no reason why L'Hopital's rule would not work:

Both [itex]e^{imx}-1[/itex] and ix go to 0 as x goes to 0.

[itex]\left(e^{imx}\right)'= I am e^{imx}[/itex] while (ix)'= i. By L'Hopitals rule, the limit is the same as [itex]\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{im e^{imx}}{i}= m\left(\lim_{x\to 0}e^{imx}\right)= m[/itex].

doh! I differentiated the whole part instead of nominator and denominator separately..

Thx alot

What is a limit and why do we struggle with it?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that represents the value a function approaches as its input approaches a certain value. We struggle with limits because they can be difficult to visualize and understand, and they require a deep understanding of mathematical concepts.

How do I know if I am struggling with a limit?

If you are having trouble understanding the concept of a limit or are having difficulty solving limit problems, then you are likely struggling with a limit. Common signs of struggling with a limit include confusion, frustration, and difficulty applying the definition of a limit to solve problems.

What are some tips for understanding and solving limits?

First, make sure you have a solid understanding of the basic principles and definitions of limits. Practice solving a variety of limit problems to improve your understanding and familiarity with the concept. Use visual aids, such as graphs, to help you better understand how limits work. Finally, seek help from a teacher or tutor if you are still struggling.

What are some common mistakes people make when dealing with limits?

One common mistake is confusing the limit of a function with the value of the function at a specific point. Remember that a limit represents the value a function approaches, not necessarily the value at a specific point. Another mistake is not fully understanding the definition of a limit and trying to solve problems without a clear understanding of the concept.

How can I overcome my struggles with limits?

Practice, practice, practice! The more you practice solving limit problems, the more comfortable and confident you will become. It is also helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor, and to review your notes and textbook regularly to reinforce your understanding. Don't get discouraged, with persistence and determination, you can overcome your struggles with limits!