Fourier sine and cosine transforms of Heaviside function

In summary: Alternatively, you can use the power-series method.In summary, the problem is that the the limits of the sin and cos functions as x -> infinity are undefined, so you need to work with the theorems for the FT of a derivative. You can use the shift-theorem to move between 0 and x0, or you can use the power-series method.
ashah99
Homework Statement
Problem statement is given below.
Relevant Equations
Relevant equation used are given below.
Hi, I am really struggling with the following problem on the Fourier sine and cosine transforms of the Heaviside unit step function. The definitions I have been using are provided below. I tried each part of the problem, but I'm only left in terms of limits as x -> infinity of sin or cos function, which are undefined. How do I approach this? Am I totally off track and missing some key properties of these transforms? Sorry for the poor formatting...any help appreciated.

Problem:
1664468467400.png

Attempt

1664468499323.png

1664468524407.png

Physics news on Phys.org
ashah99 said:
Homework Statement:: Problem statement is given below.
Relevant Equations:: Relevant equation used are given below.

Hi, I am really struggling with the following problem on the Fourier sine and cosine transforms of the Heaviside unit step function. The definitions I have been using are provided below. I tried each part of the problem, but I'm only left in terms of limits as x -> infinity of sin or cos function, which are undefined. How do I approach this? Am I totally off track and missing some key properties of these transforms? Sorry for the poor formatting...any help appreciated.

Problem:
View attachment 314809
Attempt

View attachment 314810
View attachment 314811
I would try using theorems rather than just brute-forcing from the definition.
The derivative of a step-function from -1/2 to +1/2 is a delta.
There's a theorem for the FT of a derivative.
Use the shift- theorem to move between 0 and x0.
Maybe work with the full FT and then extract the Cos and Sine-transform from the result.

Just a few ideas. I haven't tried it.

ashah99 said:
I tried each part of the problem, but I'm only left in terms of limits as x -> infinity of sin or cos function, which are undefined. How do I approach this?
To get the integrals to converge, you can introduce a convergence factor ##e^{-\lambda x}## and then take the limit as ##\lambda \to 0^+## after you integrate.

1. What is the Fourier sine transform of the Heaviside function?

The Fourier sine transform of the Heaviside function is given by F(s) = 1/(s + jω), where j is the imaginary unit and ω is the frequency variable. This transform is used to represent a function in terms of its frequency components.

2. What is the Fourier cosine transform of the Heaviside function?

The Fourier cosine transform of the Heaviside function is given by F(s) = (1/jω) + πδ(ω), where δ(ω) is the Dirac delta function. This transform is used to represent a function in terms of its even frequency components.

3. What is the inverse Fourier sine transform of the Heaviside function?

The inverse Fourier sine transform of the Heaviside function is given by f(t) = sin(ωt) - πδ(t), where δ(t) is the Dirac delta function. This transform is used to reconstruct a function from its frequency components.

4. What is the inverse Fourier cosine transform of the Heaviside function?

The inverse Fourier cosine transform of the Heaviside function is given by f(t) = 1 - cos(ωt). This transform is used to reconstruct a function from its even frequency components.

5. What are some applications of the Fourier sine and cosine transforms of the Heaviside function?

These transforms are commonly used in signal processing, image processing, and communication systems to analyze and manipulate signals in the frequency domain. They are also used in solving differential equations and in quantum mechanics to represent wave functions.