Puzzled by A coupled system of PDEs

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with a system of three coupled linear second order differential equations involving constants A and B, and vector U. They have tried using Fourier transforms and finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors, but are unsure if they are missing anything. They are also considering using Mathematica's DSolve and NDSolve functions to solve the equations. They suggest using Mathematica as a tool for solving the system.
Dr_Noface
Sorry about the format, bit I have no knowledge of LateX.

A,B - are real constants

U=(Ux,Uy,Uz)

I have a system of three coupled linear second order differential equations

(di)^2(Ui) +A*Laplacian(Ui)+ B*di[Divergence(U)]

Note: The first term is not a sum.

0<z<H, while x & y can be any real number. I have some more boundary conditions, but I feel as if I'm nowhere close to that stage.

I'm pretty stumped. I tried Fourier transforming (in x & y) and end up with a system of six coupled linear ODEs. I can find the eigenvalues (they're the roots of a cubic equation), but solving for the eigenvectors is an awful algebraic exercise. Is there anything I'm missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dr_Noface said:
I'm pretty stumped. I tried Fourier transforming (in x & y) and end up with a system of six coupled linear ODEs. I can find the eigenvalues (they're the roots of a cubic equation), but solving for the eigenvectors is an awful algebraic exercise. Is there anything I'm missing?

I'd first try to directly solve the coupled PDEs explicitly via Mathematica's DSolve function. Probably won't do. Next, I'd then try to directly solve numerically the coupled PDEs via Mathematica's NDSolve function. May be some issues with providing acceptable boundary and initial values to NDSolve there. Next, I'd use Mathematica's Eigenvectors function to compute the eigenvectors of your coupled ODE system. In general, if the objective is the solution and not practice doing it manually, then I'd rely heavily on using Mathematica to solve it.

If you're not familiar with Mathematica then really need to try to become so. If you post the matrix in a way I can understand it, I'll run Eigenvalue/Eigenvector for you in Mathematica.

Related to Puzzled by A coupled system of PDEs

1. What is a coupled system of PDEs?

A coupled system of PDEs refers to a set of partial differential equations (PDEs) that are interconnected and dependent on each other. This means that the solution to one equation affects the solution of the others, making it a more complex and challenging problem to solve.

2. What are some examples of coupled systems of PDEs?

Some common examples of coupled systems of PDEs include the Navier-Stokes equations for fluid dynamics, the Maxwell's equations for electromagnetism, and the Lotka-Volterra equations for predator-prey interactions in ecology.

3. How are coupled systems of PDEs solved?

Coupled systems of PDEs are typically solved using numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite element methods. These methods involve discretizing the equations and solving them iteratively using computer algorithms.

4. What are the challenges in solving coupled systems of PDEs?

The main challenge in solving coupled systems of PDEs is their complexity and interdependence. Due to the interconnected nature of the equations, finding a solution that satisfies all equations simultaneously can be difficult. Additionally, the numerical methods used for solving these systems can be computationally intensive and time-consuming.

5. What are some real-world applications of coupled systems of PDEs?

Coupled systems of PDEs have a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, biology, and finance. They are used to model and analyze complex phenomena, such as fluid flow, heat transfer, chemical reactions, population dynamics, and financial markets.