Minimal elements of a MWI and the preferred basis problem

In summary, the paper argues that the wavefunction of the universe cannot be applied to describe the state of the universe.
bg032
Many physicists claim that decoherence determines the emergence of the worlds in the Many World Interpretation (MWI). I have always found such a claim elusively proved and actually wrong. Recently I wrote a paper: http://arxiv.org/abs/1008.3708 addressing such a subject, and I sent it to Foundation of Physics for publication. The reports of the two referees were not totally negative, and the criticisms of the two referees were completely different. Anyway the paper has been rejected. As usual, some points that I thought to be clearly expressed and almost evident were not so for the readers. It would be very useful for me to discuss with the referees, but unfortunately this is not possible. Therefore I have thought to present synthetically the main points of the paper in this forum, hoping that a discussion could help me in better formulating them or alternatively in convincing myself to be wrong. For shake of simplicity and clarity, I will subdivide the presentation of my paper into three threads, namely:

1) Minimal elements of a MWI and the preferred basis problem
2) Does decoherence solve the preferred decomposition problem?
3) Does permanent spatial decomposition (PSD) solve the preferred decomposition problem?

Point 1 is the present thread, and the following threads will be open successively in the case in which a useful discussion develops in this thread and my claims are understood and accepted.

I think that at least the two following minimal postulates have to be part of a MWI:

A) A wave function subjected to unitary time evolution: [tex]\Psi(t)=U(t)\Psi_0[/tex] is associated with the universe.

B) A criterion exists for defining, possibly in an approximate way, a preferred decomposition [tex]\Psi(t)= \Phi_1 + \ldots + \Phi_n[/tex] for every t, where the elements of the decomposition are approximately orthogonal.

Remarks: the elements of the decomposition correspond to the different worlds. Their number has been assumed to be finite for simplicity; it could also be infinite, thought at most countable. The fact that the definition of the decomposition is allowed to be approximate does not mean that it can be elusive. For example, if two decompositions [tex]\{\Phi_1, \ldots, \Phi_n\}[/tex] and [tex]\{\Phi'_1, \ldots, \Phi'_n\}[/tex] of [tex]\Psi(t)[/tex] are compatible with the approximation, we must however have that [tex]||\Phi_i - \Phi'_i|| \approx 0[/tex] for [tex]i=1, \ldots n[/tex], and if the two decompositions have different numbers of elements they can be appropriately grouped to obtain two decompositions having the same number of elements and satisfying the above property.

I formulate

The preferred decomposition problem (PDP): what is the criterion defining the preferred decomposition of point B?

I prefer the name "preferred decomposition problem" rather than the usual "preferred basis problem" because I find the latter to be misleading; in fact what we need here is to define a decomposition of a given vector, and not to define the whole basis for the Hilbert space of the universe.

It is well known that decoherence theory is based on the subdivision System-Environment, and that this subdivision is problematic when the whole system is the universe. However, since my claim (in the paper and in the next thread) is that decoherence does not solve the PDP even if this subdivision is given, I formulate

The facilitated PDP: assuming that a subdivision in System and Environment is given in some way for the universe, what is the criterion for defining the decomposition of point B?

In the next thread, if it will be open, I will argue that decoherence does not solve the Facilitated PDP.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why hasn't anyone responded to this yet?

I don't think you can apply the wavefunction to the universe in that respect.

_PJ_ said:
I don't think you can apply the wavefunction to the universe in that respect.

Do you mean that the notion of "wave function of the universe" is not correct or appropriate?

bg032 said:
Do you mean that the notion of "wave function of the universe" is not correct or appropriate?

MOstly inappropriate, since to be described this way infers quantum coherence which can only be broken through an external action, i.e. observation or interaction.

1. What is the MWI (Many-Worlds Interpretation) and how does it relate to the preferred basis problem?

The MWI is a theory in quantum mechanics that suggests that every possible outcome of a measurement or observation exists in a separate, parallel universe. The preferred basis problem arises when trying to determine which basis (set of states) is most "real" or preferred in this interpretation.

2. How does the MWI differ from other interpretations of quantum mechanics?

The MWI differs from other interpretations, such as the Copenhagen interpretation, in that it does not require wave function collapse. Instead, all possible outcomes of a measurement are seen as equally real in different parallel universes.

3. What are minimal elements in the context of the MWI?

In the MWI, minimal elements refer to the smallest units of reality, which are represented by individual branches or universes in the multiverse. These elements make up the entirety of the multiverse and contain all possible states and outcomes.

4. How is the preferred basis problem currently being addressed by scientists?

Currently, the preferred basis problem is still a topic of debate and research among scientists. Some propose that the preferred basis is determined by decoherence, while others suggest that it may be related to the observer's consciousness or the laws of nature.

5. What are the implications of the MWI and the preferred basis problem for our understanding of reality?

The MWI and the preferred basis problem challenge our traditional understanding of reality and the nature of observation. It suggests that there are multiple versions of reality coexisting in parallel universes, and that our perception of reality may be limited by our preferred basis or perspective.