Calculating Time Taken for an Object Dropped from 40 m & Weighing 53kg

• Thread starter Turkish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, to calculate the time taken for an object to fall from 40 meters with an acceleration of -9.8 m/s2, you can use the formula s = ut + 1/2at^2, where s is the displacement, u is the initial velocity (which is 0 in this case), a is the acceleration, and t is the time taken. Plugging in the given values, you can solve for t by taking the square root of 40/4.9, which equals 2.9 seconds. This equation is derived from the formula a = (v-u)/t and the area under the curve of a velocity/time graph.
Turkish
Okay, I need some help working out the time taken for an object to fall, please Can you tell me how its done, with the working out, Thanks in advance.
This is the question:
An object is dropped from 40metres and weighs 53kg, Whats the time taken for it to hit ground.

Physics news on Phys.org
Weight (or mass, which is really what you give) is irrelevant. Assuming no air resistance (which I have to since you didn't give any coefficient for resistance) acceleration is constant: -9.8 m/s2.

The velocity after t seconds is -9.8t m/s and the distance fallen is the negative of the integral of that: 4.9t2 m.

4.9t2= 40 gives t2= 40/4.9= 8.16 so t= √(8.16)= 2.8 seconds.

Thanks for that, Really appreciate it, however I am a bit confused on how you managed to get 4.9:S

The integral of -9.8t would be -9.8t^2/2=-4.9t^2 then you were supposed to take the negative which equals 4.9t^2

I would use one of those 4 equations of motion. If you take
v = final velocity
u = initial velocity
a = acceleration
s = displacement
t = time taken

s = ut + 1/2at^2
sign convention i think its called means you can keep downwards to be the positive direction.
v = not needed
u = 0
a = 9.8
s = 40
t = ??

40 = 0*t + 1/2*9.8*t^2

40 = 4.9t^2

40/4.9 = t^2 so square root of 40/4.9 = t which is equal to 2.9seconds.

(That equation is derived from a = (v-u)/t and the area under the curve of a velocity/time graph)

Hope this helps.

1. How do you calculate the time taken for an object dropped from 40m?

The time taken for an object dropped from 40m can be calculated using the formula t = √(2h/g), where t is the time in seconds, h is the height in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

2. What is the weight of the object being dropped?

The weight of the object being dropped is 53kg, as stated in the question.

3. What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity on Earth is approximately 9.8 m/s². However, this value may vary slightly depending on the location and altitude.

4. Can the height and weight of the object affect the time taken?

Yes, the height and weight of the object can affect the time taken. The higher the height, the longer the object will take to reach the ground. Similarly, a heavier object will take longer to fall than a lighter object.

5. How accurate is the calculated time taken?

The calculated time taken is fairly accurate, but it may vary slightly due to factors such as air resistance and the shape of the object. However, for most practical purposes, the calculated time will be a close estimate of the actual time taken.