Prospects for a mediocre student

• Thread starter Onias
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Student
In summary, the speaker recently graduated from a Joint Honours BSc in Applied Mathematics and Physics with a final mark of 58.3% in Physics and 60% in Applied Mathematics. They received a 2.1 in Applied Mathematics and a 2.2 in Physics, resulting in an overall mark of 59.4%. They explain that they lost focus in their third and fourth year due to cockiness, immaturity, and difficulties with note-taking and organization. They are currently pursuing an MSc in Mathematical Modelling and Scientific Computing with a research component in the Applied Maths department. The speaker is determined to excel in their MSc and wonders if they can redeem themselves in the eyes of future research supervisors and funding agencies.
Onias
Hey all, I graduated recently from the Joint Honours BSc in Applied Mathematics and Physics. My final mark was 58.3% in Physics and 60% in Applied Mathematics. I got a 2.1 in Applied Mathematics and a 2.2 in Physics, overall I got 59.4% (I didn't get the 2.1 overall unfortunately). I got a 1.1 in second year but I lost focus in third and fourth year due to cockiness, immaturity and difficulties with note-taking/organisation. I'm currently doing an MSc in Mathematical Modelling and Scientific Computing which has a significant research component in the Applied Maths department. I'm giving it my all and working hard at it (and enjoying it too), can I redeem myself in the eyes of future research supervisors/funding agencies if I excel? Will my performance in undergrad be a permanent blot on my record?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The handful of employers I know personally in business/ engineering don't care about your undergrad after a masters or a few years of work experience. How did you get into an Msc?

The sad truth is that employers look at degree classes.
The only thing you can try to do is go brilliantly in this masters.

You might also look at what skills employers want, as in look at specific packages or programs that you can get a head-start in so companies don't have to waste money training you.

Are you aiming to get a (gasp) job after your MSc or are you trying to get onto a PhD program?

What is a mediocre student?

A mediocre student is someone who has average or below-average academic performance in comparison to their peers. This can refer to their grades, test scores, or overall academic achievement.

What are the prospects for a mediocre student?

The prospects for a mediocre student can vary greatly depending on their individual circumstances and efforts. Generally, they may have a harder time getting into competitive universities or obtaining certain jobs, but they can still succeed in their chosen career with dedication and hard work.

Can a mediocre student improve their prospects?

Yes, a mediocre student can improve their prospects by working on their study habits, seeking help from teachers or tutors, and setting realistic goals for themselves. With determination and effort, they can overcome their academic challenges and achieve success.

What factors contribute to a student being mediocre?

There can be many factors that contribute to a student being mediocre, such as lack of motivation, poor study habits, learning disabilities, or external distractions. It is important to identify and address these factors in order to improve academic performance.

Are there successful people who were once mediocre students?

Yes, there are many successful people who were once mediocre students. Academic success is not the only measure of success, and individuals can excel in other areas such as creativity, leadership, or entrepreneurship. It is never too late for a mediocre student to find their passion and achieve success in their own unique way.