Spring: K.E. - P.E. relationship; Request shorter procedure

In summary: I'm finding that the numbers are getting messy - I'm hoping someone else will step in and tell us what's going on.In summary, the conversation involved solving a physics problem involving the collision of a block of mass 10 kg and a spring with a force constant of 1000 N/m. The question asked for the compression of the spring when the kinetic energy of the block is equal to one-fourth of the elastic potential energy of the spring. The conversation included various methods and equations for solving the problem, including using the law of conservation of energy and kinematic equations. However, it was eventually determined that the assumption of constant acceleration was incorrect and the problem required a more complex approach. In the end,
wirefree
Question:-
A block of mass 10 kg moving with a velocity of 1 m/s collides with a spring of force constant 1000 N/m. Calculate the compression of the spring at the moment when kinetic energy of the block is equal to one-fourth of the elastic potential energy of the spring.

Attempt:-
Step 1: Determine initial Kinetic Energy of block
Step 2: Using above value of K.E., determine maximum compression of spring using Law of Conservation of Mechanical Energy
Step 3: Determine acceleration for the maximum compression using 3rd Kinematic equation
Step 4: Obtain two equations with two unknowns (v & x):
- First: v2 = u2 + 2ax (3rd Kinematic equation)
- Second: 1/4*1/2*k*x2 = 1/2*m*v2 (from question statement)
Step 5: Substitute v2 from First equation in the Second and solve 25x2 + 10x - 1 = 0 for x.

Problem:-
The above question is a 4 marks exam question which gives me 9 minutes to solve it. In addition to the 4 steps preceding it, Step 5's quadratic equation doesn't yield whole number roots. To be precise they are x=.09 & x=-.48.

There must be a shorter procedure.

Would appreciate advise.

Regards,
wirefree

Physics news on Phys.org
Just use conservation of energy directly. You do not need suvat equations.
The lynchpin is that the final kinetic energy is equal to one quarter of the final potential energy.
It's just one line.

Appreciate the suggestion, Mr Bridge.

I fail to take lead from your suggestion.

Simon Bridge said:
The lynchpin is that the final kinetic energy is equal to one quarter of the final potential energy.

The final K.E. is clearly zero.

Would appreciate elaboration.wirefree

The final K.E. is clearly zero.
This is not what the problem statement says.
Please reread the problem statement - it tells you the final kinetic energy is not zero when it says
you said:
Calculate the compression of the spring at the moment when [the] kinetic energy of the block is equal to one-fourth of the elastic potential energy of the spring.

It does not say anywhere that the mass comes to rest.

If the final kinetic energy were zero, then the calculation would be easy - all the initial kinetic energy ends up as energy stored in the spring: ##mu^2=kx^2## ... solve for x.

If T is kinetic energy and U is potential energy, then conservation of energy says:
$$T_i+U_i=T_f+U_f$$... you know that ##U_i=0## and you have an expression for ##T_f## in terms of ##U_f## ... so substitute and simplify.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Simon Bridge said:
It does not say anywhere that the mass comes to rest.

It nevertheless would when the spring sustains maximum compression. This and this alone could be termed Final K.E. (= zero).

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1402120967.582200.jpg

Yes the block stops at maximum compression. The question is not about maximum compression. It is about the compression that happens when potential energy is four times larger than kinetic energy. The problem is easier than you're making it out to be. Besides, your method will fail because you are using equations derived for motion at constant acceleration. That's not the case here. One more thing, the equation you're calling 3rd kinematic equation is actually called Torricelli's equation. There is no equation commonly known as 3rd Kinematic equation.

dauto said:
your method will fail because you are using equations derived for motion at constant acceleration.

As shown in the graph I attach in this post, Spring Force evolves linearly. Doesn't that indicate that the Force on the spring is constant and, therefore, so is acceleration?

Interestingly, all 5 steps of my original post yield the same answer as the procedure outlined by Mr. Bridge in post #4.

Attachments

• Fs.jpg
    Fs.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 420
Your OP asked for a shorter procedure.

Initial energy = 0.5 mv^2= 5J
Final energy = 5J = KE + PE =KE + 4KE
KE =1J, PE =4J= 0.5 kx^2
x = 1/5√5

wirefree said:
It nevertheless would when the spring sustains maximum compression. This and this alone could be termed Final K.E. (= zero).
That is correct - but nowhere does it say that the spring reaches maximum compression.

At maximum compression the final kinetic energy cannot be expressed as a fraction of the final potential energy.

wirefree said:
As shown in the graph I attach in this post, Spring Force evolves linearly. Doesn't that indicate that the Force on the spring is constant and, therefore, so is acceleration?

Interestingly, all 5 steps of my original post yield the same answer as the procedure outlined by Mr. Bridge in post #4.
Nowhere have I said that the method you used was wrong.
You wanted a shorter approach - this is a shorter approach.

Last edited:
wirefree said:
No, it does not. It shows that the force is proportional to displacement and so is the acceleration.

Your equation (obtianed by combinig "first" and "second") should contain u and a. What values did you take for these quantities?

Last edited:
Indeed - having taken another look:
[...] all 5 steps of my original post yield the same answer as the procedure outlined by Mr. Bridge in post #4.
Please show your working.

Considering that the assumption of constant acceleration is incorrect, it is a tad surprising.
But these things happen.

Last edited:
wirefree said:

The spring force varies with position.

Therefore (via F = ma) the acceleration also varies with position.

The block's position is not constant (it moves!), therefore the acceleration is not constant.

Therefore the kinematic equations for constant acceleration do not apply.

Jilang said:
Your OP asked for a shorter procedure.

Initial energy = 0.5 mv^2= 5J
Final energy = 5J = KE + PE =KE + 4KE
KE =1J, PE =4J= 0.5 kx^2
x = 1/5√5

This.

(but it is [tex]\frac{1}{5}\sqrt{2}[/tex] )

mattt said:
This.

(but it is [tex]\frac{1}{5}\sqrt{2}[/tex] )

Matt, that's quite cryptic. Is that your solution for x?
:yuck:

Jilang said:
Matt, that's quite cryptic. Is that your solution for x?
:yuck:

Yes, :-)

I've tried and tried but I cannot get your answer. Can you show me where I went wrong?
:cry:

Jilang said:
I've tried and tried but I cannot get your answer. Can you show me where I went wrong?
:cry:

[tex]4 = \frac{1}{2}k x^2[/tex] So...

...MY GOODNESS! I am really sorry, mate, I read k=100 but now I see it is k=1000.

Your result is correct. I was just reading too fast and saw 100 instead of 1000. My fault.

Sorry :-)

Likes 1 person
:smile: Thanks Matt!

What is the relationship between spring's kinetic energy and potential energy?

The spring's kinetic energy and potential energy are directly proportional to each other. As the spring stretches or compresses, the potential energy increases while the kinetic energy decreases. Similarly, as the spring returns to its original position, the potential energy decreases while the kinetic energy increases.

How can I request a shorter procedure for studying the spring's K.E. - P.E. relationship?

You can request a shorter procedure by simplifying the calculations and measurements involved. This can be done by using simpler equations or using smaller objects or springs with less stiffness. You can also reduce the number of trials or data points to be collected.

What are the key factors that affect the spring's K.E. - P.E. relationship?

The key factors that affect the spring's K.E. - P.E. relationship include the stiffness of the spring, the mass of the object attached to the spring, and the distance the spring is stretched or compressed. Other factors such as air resistance and friction may also affect the relationship.

Why is it important to study the spring's K.E. - P.E. relationship?

Studying the spring's K.E. - P.E. relationship is important because it helps us understand the principles of energy and how it is transferred and conserved in a system. This knowledge can then be applied to various real-life situations, such as in the design of springs for different purposes.

Can the spring's K.E. - P.E. relationship be applied to other systems?

Yes, the principles of the spring's K.E. - P.E. relationship can be applied to other systems that exhibit similar characteristics, such as a pendulum or a simple harmonic oscillator. The concepts of potential and kinetic energy are fundamental to understanding the behavior of various physical systems.