Is Planet-X Real? Astronomers Weigh In

• Thread starter colloquium
  • Start date
In summary, there is a current trend of videos and articles discussing a supposed planet-X and a possible cover-up by the south pole telescope. However, knowledgeable astronomers dismiss these claims as baseless and a product of conspiracy theories. There is no evidence to support the existence of planet-X and it is considered science fiction rather than a real subject. The topic has been categorized under skepticism and debunking on forums for this reason.
colloquium
So I've read a few articles and seen a few videos on the so called "planet-X".

There's a video currently circulating on you-tube (currently in the most viewed section, for what that's worth) with supposed cover-up footage from the south pole telescope, clearly depicting the planet - all very conspiracy laden, but with a good number of people entertaining the idea that a major disaster is going to happen.

So my question is what do you knowledgeable astronomers out there think of such claims? I am by no means one of you (to do sufficent research to have an informed opinion would take up a vast amount of my time and effort) - so I would like some opinions. I couldn't find a "science fiction" section of the forum - so this thread may sit uncomfortably with real subjects - sorry if that is the case.

EDIT - I've just seen the "skeptisism and Debunking" section. Mods - please move.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is all a bunch of nonsense.

I can confidently say that there is no scientific evidence to support the existence of a planet called "Planet-X" or Nibiru. This idea has been circulating for many years, and it is often tied to conspiracy theories and doomsday predictions. However, there is no credible scientific basis for these claims.

Firstly, if there was a planet on a collision course with Earth, it would be easily observable by professional and amateur astronomers around the world. The idea that this planet is being hidden by a cover-up is simply not feasible. In fact, many astronomers have looked for evidence of this supposed planet and have found nothing.

Furthermore, any planet that was on a collision course with Earth would have a significant gravitational influence on the other planets in our solar system. This would be easily detectable by the orbits of these planets, which have been carefully studied and mapped by scientists for decades.

It is also important to note that the south pole telescope mentioned in the video is not a professional observatory and is not equipped to detect planets. It is used for studying cosmic microwave background radiation, not for searching for planets.

In conclusion, as a scientist, I can confidently say that there is no evidence to support the existence of Planet-X or Nibiru. These claims are not based on scientific fact and should not be taken seriously. As always, it is important to critically evaluate information and seek out reputable sources before believing in sensationalized claims.

1. Is there any scientific evidence to support the existence of Planet-X?

Yes, there is. In recent years, there have been several studies and observations that suggest the presence of a ninth planet in our solar system. These include the orbital anomalies of distant objects in the Kuiper Belt and the tilt of the Sun's axis, among others.

2. How big is Planet-X supposed to be?

Based on current theories and observations, Planet-X is estimated to be between 5 to 10 times the mass of Earth. However, its actual size and mass may vary depending on its distance from the Sun and other factors.

3. How far away is Planet-X from Earth?

The estimated distance of Planet-X from Earth is around 20 times the distance between the Earth and the Sun. This would make it roughly 200 astronomical units (AU) away from us, or about 18.6 billion miles.

4. Is it possible for Planet-X to collide with Earth?

Based on current scientific understanding, it is highly unlikely for Planet-X to collide with Earth. Its proposed orbit is far enough from our planet and other major celestial bodies, making a collision highly improbable.

5. What are the next steps for astronomers in studying Planet-X?

Astronomers are continuing to observe and gather data on the possible existence of Planet-X. They are also conducting computer simulations and theoretical studies to further understand its potential effects on our solar system. Future space missions and advanced telescopes may also aid in the search for Planet-X.