Physic's equation help (Newtons laws)

In summary, the person asked for the acceleration of a 35 kg block of cement when pulled sideways with a net force of 150 N. They used the equation a = f/m and got an answer of 4.2, but when they entered it into the assignment, it was marked wrong. After seeking clarification, they realized they needed to round up to 4.3.
iluvpandas

Homework Statement

What is the acceleration of a 35 kg block of cement when pulled sideways with a net force of 150 N?

Homework Equations

what i did was f=ma
a=m/f

and just plugged the numbers in

The Attempt at a Solution

i got 4.2 but when i entered it into the assignment it told me i was wrong.
can someone explain to me where i went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
iluvpandas said:
what i did was f=ma
a=m/f
You mean, I hope, a = f/m.
i got 4.2 but when i entered it into the assignment it told me i was wrong.
can someone explain to me where i went wrong?
Probably just a round off error. Redo the calculation more accurately, then round off to two digits.

i feel so silly
the answer was 4.3
i just needed to round up =P
oh the irony,

thanks so much for helping!

1. What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are a set of three physical laws that describe the relationship between an object's motion and the forces acting upon it. These laws were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century and have been fundamental to the study of physics ever since.

2. What is the first law of motion?

The first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

3. What is the second law of motion?

The second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be expressed mathematically as F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is its acceleration.

4. What is the third law of motion?

The third law of motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal but opposite force on the first object.

5. How do I use Newton's laws to solve physics equations?

To use Newton's laws to solve physics equations, you must first identify the forces acting on the object and their direction. Then, use the appropriate law (first, second, or third) to set up an equation and solve for the desired variable. It is important to pay attention to units and use the correct mathematical operations to accurately solve the equation.