A rocket moves upward, starting from rest.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a rocket's motion upward and the question of how high it rises above the ground. The person has attempted to find the solution using various equations but has been unable to due to missing variables. They are advised to break the motion into two parts and show their calculations to determine the velocity and use it in the second stage of the rocket's motion.
chewy96

Homework Statement

A rocket moves upward, starting from rest with an acceleration of 32.2 m/s2 for 5.84 s. It runs out of fuel at the end of the 5.84 s but does not stop. How high does it rise above the ground?

Homework Equations

I do not know. All equations I have tried have been missing a variable.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding the velocity and then adding it to what I got when plugging it into xf=xi+vi x t + 1/2g x t^2

Physics news on Phys.org
chewy96 said:

Homework Statement

A rocket moves upward, starting from rest with an acceleration of 32.2 m/s2 for 5.84 s. It runs out of fuel at the end of the 5.84 s but does not stop. How high does it rise above the ground?

Homework Equations

I do not know. All equations I have tried have been missing a variable.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding the velocity and then adding it to what I got when plugging it into xf=xi+vi x t + 1/2g x t^2

Break the motion of the rocket into two parts. Yes, you need to find the velocity the rocket is at after 5.84 seconds. Then you can use this information in the second stage of its motion.

Show your calculations, so we can see what you are getting.

, but I still could not find the answer.

I would first clarify the given information and make assumptions if necessary. For example, I would assume that the acceleration is constant during the 5.84 s and that the rocket continues to move upward after running out of fuel. I would also assume that the rocket starts from rest at ground level.

Next, I would use the equation vf = vi + at to find the final velocity of the rocket after 5.84 s. Plugging in the given values, we get vf = 32.2 m/s2 x 5.84 s = 187.648 m/s.

Then, using the equation vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad, we can find the displacement of the rocket (i.e. how high it has risen) by rearranging the equation to d = (vf^2 - vi^2) / 2a. Plugging in the values, we get d = [(187.648 m/s)^2 - (0 m/s)^2] / 2 x 32.2 m/s2 = 571.8 m. Therefore, the rocket has risen 571.8 m above the ground before running out of fuel.

However, this solution assumes that the rocket continues to move upward after running out of fuel. If we assume that the rocket stops moving after running out of fuel, then the displacement would be different. In this case, we would use the equation d = vit + 1/2at^2, where vi = 187.648 m/s, a = -9.8 m/s2 (due to gravity), and t = 5.84 s. Plugging in the values, we get d = (187.648 m/s x 5.84 s) + 1/2 x (-9.8 m/s2) x (5.84 s)^2 = 572.1 m. Therefore, the rocket would have risen 572.1 m above the ground before stopping.

In conclusion, the height the rocket rises above the ground depends on the assumptions we make about its motion after running out of fuel. As scientists, it is important to clarify information and make reasonable assumptions in order to find accurate solutions.

1. How does a rocket move upward?

A rocket moves upward by using the propulsion force generated by its engines. The engines expel a high-speed stream of gas in one direction, which creates an equal and opposite force that propels the rocket upward.

2. Why does a rocket start from rest?

A rocket starts from rest because it requires a significant amount of thrust to overcome the force of gravity and lift off the ground. It also needs to reach a certain speed and altitude before it can safely ignite its engines.

3. What factors affect the upward movement of a rocket?

The upward movement of a rocket is affected by several factors, including the thrust generated by its engines, the mass of the rocket and its payload, air resistance, and the force of gravity. The direction and angle of the rocket's engines also play a role in its upward movement.

4. How does a rocket maintain its upward movement?

A rocket maintains its upward movement by continuously generating thrust from its engines. The thrust must be greater than the force of gravity pulling the rocket back down to Earth to maintain its upward trajectory. The rocket's speed and direction can also be adjusted to control its upward movement.

5. What happens to a rocket's upward movement as it travels further from Earth?

As a rocket travels further from Earth, it will encounter less gravitational pull and air resistance, allowing it to maintain its upward movement more easily. However, the rocket will also experience changes in gravitational pull from other celestial bodies, which may affect its trajectory. Additionally, the amount of fuel and propellant on board will also impact the rocket's upward movement.