Angular speed of merry-go-round

In summary, a playground merry-go-round with a radius of 2.40 m and a moment of inertia of 2100 kgm^2 is initially at rest. A child applies a tangential force of 18.0 N for 15.0 s, resulting in an angular speed of 0.309 rad/s after the interval. This is calculated using the equations for torque, rotational inertia, and angular acceleration.
cdotter

Homework Statement

A playground merry-go-round has a radius 2.40 m and a moment of inertia 2100 kgm^2 about a vertical axle through its center, and it turns with negligible friction.

A child applies an 18.0 N force tangential to the edge of the merry-go-round for 15.0 s. If the merry-go-round is initially at rest, what is its angular speed after this 15.0 s interval?

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec \tau = \vec r \times \vec F[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have absolutely no idea what to do. I know the answer is .309 rad/s. From playing around with the numbers I know that (2.40 m * 18.0 N * 15.0 s)/2100 kg*m^2 = 0.309 rad/s, but I don't know why. I can't find any sort of relationship between what I have and what I need.

Physics news on Phys.org
Immediately after clicking post, it clicked in my mind. Wow. For anyone else who is having trouble with this problem:

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
\vec \tau = \vec r \times \vec F\\
\sum \vec \tau = I \vec \alpha\\
\omega_f = \omega_i + \alpha t\\\\
\vec \tau = (2.40 m)(18.0 N)(sin 90) = 43.2 N \cdot m\\
\sum \vec \tau = 43.2 N \cdot m = (2100 kg \cdot m^2)(\alpha)\\
\Rightarrow \alpha = 0.021 rad/s^2\\
\omega_f = 0 + (0.021 rad/s^2)(15.0 s)\\
\Rightarrow \omega_f = 0.309 rad/s
\end{array}
[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of angular speed?

Angular speed, also known as rotational speed, is the rate at which an object rotates around a fixed axis. It is measured in radians per second (rad/s) or revolutions per minute (RPM).

2. How is angular speed different from linear speed?

Angular speed is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating, while linear speed is a measure of how quickly an object is moving in a straight line. They are related by the formula v = rω, where v is linear speed, r is the radius of rotation, and ω is the angular speed.

3. How is the angular speed of a merry-go-round calculated?

The angular speed of a merry-go-round can be calculated by dividing the total angle covered in a certain amount of time by the time taken. It can also be calculated by dividing the linear speed of a point on the merry-go-round by the radius of rotation.

4. How does the angular speed of a merry-go-round affect the riders?

The angular speed of a merry-go-round determines the amount of centripetal force acting on the riders. A higher angular speed means a higher centripetal force, which can make the riders feel a stronger pull towards the center of the merry-go-round.

5. Can the angular speed of a merry-go-round be changed?

Yes, the angular speed of a merry-go-round can be changed by either increasing or decreasing the speed at which it is rotating. This can be done by adjusting the motor or by having the riders push or pull on the merry-go-round to change its speed.