Dog rescue, bizarre circumstances

• Thread starter rhody
  • Start date
In summary, a man drowned his own dog to cover up driving drunk and the fisherman who found the dog and brought it to safety got off scott free.
rhody
Gold Member
Kayak Fisherman Rescues Dog
A fisherman kayaking on the Gulf of Mexico over the weekend made one catch he'll never forget -- a dog swimming for his life off the Siesta Key coast.

What initially seemed like a bizarre rescue actually took place following a horrific tragedy, when a drunk driver fatally struck the dog's owner in a hit-and-run accident approximately one mile from the shore, according to ABC Action News.

Authorities told the local Patch that they found Donna Chen, 53, face down on the pavement that afternoon, while her dog, Barney, was nowhere to be seen.

Police said that the suspected driver, Blake Talman, was fleeing another crash scene when his Nissan Altima spun out of control, striking Chen and Barney, as well as some landscaping, a street sign, a telephone line, and several wooden poles lining the entrance to a church, according tot he Sarasota Herald-Tribune.
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/1599/dogrescue.jpg The poor injured dog, front paw injured from the hit and run, was so freaked he jumped in the ocean and swam to get away, how sad, and at the same time how lucky for him to be spotted and rescued by the Kayaker. The guy that hit the dog and his owner was fleeing another hit and run at the time. It doesn't get any more bizarre than this.

Rhody... o:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Poor pooch. I hope somebody wants to take him in. He looks like Duke.

So lucky for the dog. Such a tragedy. Manslaughter is not severe enough for that drunk. For what he did, lock him up and throw away the key.

Awww poor doggy. What a lucky dog and lucky fisherman! How could you a hit a dog and keep driving? I mean...I know people hit and run people too. Wouldn't you stop? I know I would regardless of my state of mind.

Funny how people are sympathetic for the dog and don't even seem to care about it's owner being killed...

pergradus said:
Funny how people are sympathetic for the dog and don't even seem to care about it's owner being killed...

Funny how people care for dogs but eat cows.

MarcoD said:
Funny how people care for dogs but eat cows.

That's a completely irrelevant comparison. Cows are grown for food, and some people do eat dogs.

A human being was killed, and people care more about a dog getting its paw hurt.

pergradus said:
That's a completely irrelevant comparison. Cows are grown for food, and some people do eat dogs.

A human being was killed, and people care more about a dog getting its paw hurt.

Dogs are considered cute and adorable by many people, hence the emotional response.

pergradus said:
... and people care more about a dog getting its paw hurt.

Uh...no, there was a possibility the dog may have died while swimming in fear from hypothermia, you missed the point. You seem to enjoy taking controversial opinions in my humble opinion for attention. This is not the first time either. There are better and more productive ways to contribute and interact with others, your choice, however.

Rhody...

Apparantly you've never had dogs, because they surely do have emotions.

What is dog rescue and why is it important?

Dog rescue refers to the act of saving and finding new homes for abandoned, abused, or neglected dogs. It is important because it helps improve the lives of these dogs, gives them a second chance at finding a loving home, and reduces the number of stray and homeless dogs in the community.

What are some of the most bizarre circumstances that may lead to a dog needing rescue?

Some of the most bizarre circumstances that may lead to a dog needing rescue include natural disasters, such as hurricanes or floods, hoarding situations, neglectful or abusive owners, and unexpected health issues.

How can I get involved in dog rescue?

There are many ways to get involved in dog rescue, including volunteering at a local shelter or rescue organization, fostering a dog in need, donating money or supplies, and spreading awareness about the importance of adopting and not buying dogs.

What should I do if I find a dog in a bizarre or dangerous situation?

If you come across a dog in a bizarre or dangerous situation, it is important to first assess the situation and ensure your own safety. If possible, try to safely approach the dog and offer food or water. If the dog is in immediate danger, contact your local animal control or emergency services for assistance.

Why is it important to adopt from a rescue organization rather than buying from a breeder or pet store?

Adopting from a rescue organization not only gives a homeless dog a second chance at finding a loving home, but it also helps reduce the demand for breeding and the number of dogs in shelters. Additionally, many rescue organizations provide medical care, training, and behavioral assessments for their dogs, ensuring a better chance of finding a compatible and well-adjusted pet.

Back