Copyright and Ownership: Exploring the Complexities

• Thread starter Per
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of ownership and how it applies to different forms of information, such as music and potatoes. While the creator of music may have ownership of their work, this does not necessarily mean they have complete control over it. Similarly, a farmer may claim ownership of the potatoes they grow, but they do not have ownership of the design of potatoes. The conversation also questions the validity of ownership as a human construct and compares it to animals marking their territory.
Per
I am currently philosophying about copyrights and ownership.

What I want is to have general laws of ownership.

Take music for example,

The music creator has ownership of his/her music. What does this ownership mean? Ususally ownership means exclusive use rights. This creator can copy his/her music without breaking the law. However some other party cannot copy the music without breaking the law. If however this other party buys the music, then does this mean the party owns the music. No, the party has only acquired use rights of the music. But does use rights include copying. No. What differs from the creator then and the party that bought the music? Possibly both have use rights to the music, but the creator has also design ownership. Without design ownership one cannot duplicate the music.

Does it make sense or are you confused. It gets worse.

Now consider that everything can be described as information.

A farmer grows potatoes. Potatoes are information just like a music piece stored in mp3 format. OK. Now does the farmer have design ownership to the potatoes? No. Nature does. But does the farmer own the potatoes he grows. Yes. In a sense, the farmer is approximately copying potatoes using natures desing; and he has a implicit agreement with nature (who owns the design of potatoes) to use copy rights from the design, free of charge. But does Nature own the potates or does the farmer own the potatoes he grows. The farmer owns the potates, however not the design of potatoes. Therefore the farmer has the right to sell the potates, so that he gets payed for the work done in copying potates.

Does it make sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
Per,

the life is not that formal...
take it easy - invite your girlfriend to a good restaunt, have a good time - just don't think on the stuff like that - just imagine what is beyond the usual boundary of modern human perception!

"Ownership" is just a label we humans give to things. I may have papers claiming I "own" my property, but do I really, compared to the Earth? Does the Earth say "thank you master for paying your mortgage. Please take good care of this portion of me that you own." The paper keeps other humans off the premises. But what do those rabbits care; they still eat the potatoes growing here! Doing a plat of survey and determining precise coordinates of ownership isn't really different than a wolf peeing on a tree.

The potato and the MP3 are the same. The only difference is Nature isn't going to sue you like Metallica will.

1. What is copyright?

Copyright is a legal concept that grants the creator of an original work the exclusive rights to use and distribute that work. This includes the rights to reproduce, distribute, and create derivative works from the original.

2. How do I obtain copyright for my work?

In most countries, copyright is automatically granted to the creator of a work as soon as it is fixed in a tangible form, such as writing it down or recording it. You do not need to register your work for it to be protected by copyright.

3. How long does copyright last?

In most cases, copyright lasts for the life of the creator plus an additional 70 years after their death. For works created by a company or organization, copyright typically lasts for 95 years from the date of publication, or 120 years from the date of creation, whichever is shorter.

4. Can copyright be transferred or sold?

Yes, copyright can be transferred or sold, just like any other form of property. The creator of a work can choose to transfer their copyright to another person or entity, usually in exchange for payment.

5. What is the difference between copyright and ownership?

Copyright and ownership are closely related concepts, but they are not the same thing. Copyright refers to the legal rights granted to the creator of a work, while ownership refers to the physical possession or control of that work. In some cases, the creator may not be the owner of the work, such as when they create it as part of their job for an employer.