How did Todd Shriber think he was going to get away with this?

In summary, the communications director for Montana Representative Denny Rehberg was fired after attempting to have his college grades inflated by people he believed were hackers. This request was made in an email to a security expert and included soliciting them to break the law. Rehberg's chief of staff stated that this behavior was out of character for the director and did not meet the standards of the position.
Rach3
Congress Aide Sought Hacker To Hike Grades

Communications Director To Montana Rep. Denny Rehberg Fired After Soliciting Help to Inflate College Marks

(AP) The communications director for Rep. Denny Rehberg, R-Mont., has been fired for trying to have the director's college record inflated by people he believed were computer hackers, Rehberg's chief of staff said Friday.

...As communications director, Shriber held "a position that entails a lot of trust," Iverson said. Shriber's work involved communicating with the public, often through the news media.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/12/22/politics/main2292806.shtml

The correspondence is posted online:
To: security curmudgeon (jericho@attrition.org)
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 13:23:03 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Question for you or other Attrition members

Would it be possible for us to discuss over the phone?
I assure you the job wouldn't be anything like
invading a government mainframe for classified
documents or stealing money from a bank. Rather it'd
be a modification of some personal data. I can provide
a phone number if that is OK. If not, we can continue
email correspondence.
To: Todd Shriber (nascar24_08530@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 17:30:44 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Question for you or other Attrition members

Hey, squirrels work fine. First, let's be clear. You are soliciting me to
break the law and hack into a computer across state lines. That is a
federal offense and multiple felonies. Obviously I can't trust anyone and
everyone that mails such a request, you might be an FBI agent, right?

So, I need three things to make this happen:

1. A picture of a squirrel or pigeon on your campus. One close-up, one
with background that shows buildings, a sign, or something to indicate you
are standing on the campus...
http://www.attrition.org/postal/z/033/0871.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
"This was out of character for him. But at the end of the day, he just wasn't exhibiting the kind of veracity that we need and demand out of our employees."

Erik Iverson,
chief of staff for Rep. Denny Rehberg, R-Mont.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/12/22/politics/main2292806.shtml

Hmmm, wouldn't he be the perfect guy for a career in politics? :wink:

1. How important is attending class for achieving a stellar GPA?

Attending class is crucial for maintaining a high GPA. Not only does it show dedication and consistency, but it also allows you to fully understand the material and participate in class discussions. Additionally, many professors incorporate participation and attendance into their grading criteria.

2. Is it necessary to study every day in order to achieve a stellar GPA?

While studying every day can certainly be helpful, it is not necessary to achieve a stellar GPA. It is important to find a study schedule that works for you and allows you to consistently review and understand the material. Quality of study time is more important than quantity.

3. What are some effective study techniques for improving my GPA?

Some effective study techniques include creating a study schedule, actively engaging with the material (such as taking notes and asking questions), using mnemonic devices, and practicing retrieval through quizzes or flashcards. It is also important to find a quiet and distraction-free study environment.

4. How can I balance extracurricular activities with maintaining a high GPA?

Balancing extracurricular activities with academics can be challenging, but it is possible. One way to manage your time effectively is by prioritizing your responsibilities and setting aside specific times for studying and participating in extracurricular activities. It may also be helpful to limit the number of activities you are involved in and communicate with your professors about any conflicts.

5. What should I do if I am struggling to maintain a high GPA?

If you are struggling to maintain a high GPA, it is important to reach out for help. This could include meeting with your professors or a tutor, forming a study group with classmates, or utilizing resources such as the writing center or academic advising. It is also important to take care of your mental and physical health, as this can greatly impact your academic performance.

Back