Calculating Required Torque with Support Arm

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate required torque when there is a support arm present. The individual is wondering if the arm affects the amount of torque needed. The solution involves considering the mass and length of the arm and its distance from the hinge. The final equation for torque is (x/2)*m-(y-x/2)*(m/x)*y.
chambo101

Homework Statement

Just looking for a general response - calculating required torque when there is a supoprt arm like in the attached doc. If there was no arm ... it's just F*d, but I guess the arm supports some of that force, so less torque is required?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• doc.doc
    103.5 KB · Views: 187
Physics news on Phys.org
I didnt get your diagram, however, if there is an arm of total mass m hanging from a hinge with constant linear mass density of length x, and there is a support arm at a distance y from the hinge, then the total the torque about the hinge would be:

(x/2)*m-(y-x/2)*(m/x)*y.

When calculating the required torque in a system with a support arm, there are a few additional factors to consider. The support arm will indeed help to distribute and support some of the force, reducing the overall torque required. However, it is important to also consider the distance between the force and the axis of rotation, as well as the angle at which the force is applied. These factors will affect the overall torque needed to achieve the desired rotation. It may be helpful to draw a free body diagram and use the equations for torque (τ = F*d*sinθ) and equilibrium (Στ = 0) to determine the required torque in this scenario.

1. How do I calculate the required torque for a support arm?

To calculate the required torque for a support arm, you will need to know the length of the arm, the weight being supported, and the distance of the weight from the pivot point. Then, use the formula T = F x d, where T is torque, F is the weight being supported, and d is the distance from the pivot point.

2. What units should I use when calculating required torque?

When calculating required torque for a support arm, the units used should be consistent. This means that the weight should be in units of force (such as Newtons or pounds), the distance should be in units of length (such as meters or feet), and the torque will be in units of force multiplied by length (such as Newton-meters or pound-feet).

3. What is the role of the support arm in calculating required torque?

The support arm is an essential component in calculating required torque as it provides a lever arm to create a turning force. Without the support arm, the weight being supported would not be able to rotate around the pivot point, and torque would not be generated.

4. Can I use a support arm with any weight and distance?

No, the weight and distance must be within the capabilities of the support arm. If the weight is too heavy or the distance is too far, the support arm may not be able to provide enough torque to hold the weight in place. It is important to carefully consider the weight and distance when choosing a support arm.

5. Are there any other factors I should consider when calculating required torque with a support arm?

Yes, other factors that may affect the required torque include the angle of the support arm, the material and strength of the support arm, and any external forces acting on the weight being supported. It is important to carefully consider all these variables to ensure that the support arm can effectively hold the weight in place.